• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foreign national driving with out a license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nacim

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California.

Thank you for reply in advance.

My girl friend is a foreign national (we hope to get married soon), took over my driving during a long trip back home to Cal. In the way she’s caught speeding. The patrolman gave her a ticket for speeding and a ticket for driving with out a license. (She has a license from her country of origin, which I guess it’s not valid here?).
She has a tourist visa, and the reason why she cannot get a regular driving license. Can you help me decipher what can possible be done, so she will not have any problems in the near future.

Thank you.

CdwJava

nacim said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California.

Thank you for reply in advance.

My girl friend is a foreign national (we hope to get married soon), took over my driving during a long trip back home to Cal. In the way she’s caught speeding. The patrolman gave her a ticket for speeding and a ticket for driving with out a license. (She has a license from her country of origin, which I guess it’s not valid here?).
She has a tourist visa, and the reason why she cannot get a regular driving license. Can you help me decipher what can possible be done, so she will not have any problems in the near future.

Thank you.
She is required to obtain a driver's license after she has taken up residency in CA ... if she has been here more than 10 days or so, it might be expected that she obtain a license.

If she has a license in her country of origin, and has not obtained a license - but is not required to get one, then she should be able to successfully challenge the citation for the unlicensed driver part.

How long has she been in the USA and what is her country of origin? And did she have her original country's license on her at the time of the stop?

- Carl

rmet4nzkx

While you are at it you may have some immigration problems and she will have to return to her country and then apply for the appropriate visa if you intend to marry. It is important to properly dispose of the ticket in the mean time.

nacim

CdwJava said:
She is required to obtain a driver's license after she has taken up residency in CA ... if she has been here more than 10 days or so, it might be expected that she obtain a license.

If she has a license in her country of origin, and has not obtained a license - but is not required to get one, then she should be able to successfully challenge the citation for the unlicensed driver part.

How long has she been in the USA and what is her country of origin? And did she have her original country's license on her at the time of the stop?

- Carl
Hello Carl,

Thank you for your kind responds. She is been here about 9 months traveling and learning (I met her, about 6 months) she is from Latvia and yes she did have her original Latvian license at the time of citation. We have already gone to the DMV and they will not issue a license for her, because she is to return to Latvia soon?

nacim

S

seniorjudge

Carl, is your head still above water?

Waterspouts off LA? What the hey is going on?

Sorry for the hijacking, OP.

Let me try to help. If she was driving without a license, then she is guilty of driving without a license. If she was speeding, then she is guilty of speeding.

But, when she gets to court, ask a court clerk (or some official) if there are diversion programs. They may be able to keep these two moving violations off her record.

I am NOT an immigration lawyer so I cannot even begin to guess what you need to do with INS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">