• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medicaid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kruser

My sister is 76yrs old, retiried school teacher. no SS, or Medicare. $1100 a month income. She wants to go to a senior apts at $420 a month. She can't afford medical insurance. She only has $8000 in assets and a old car.
She is phisicaly fit, just needs medical coverage. I understand for medicaid, she can only have $2000 in assets to qualify. she doesn't need assisted living , just insurance coverage. on line medicaid is a nitemare.
is there a plan for her situation?. i know it takes hours of waiting at the mediaid office. does she need a medicaid lawyer?. could you shed some lite on this problem?.

BlondiePB

Kruser said:
My sister is 76yrs old, retiried school teacher. no SS, or Medicare. $1100 a month income. She wants to go to a senior apts at $420 a month. She can't afford medical insurance. She only has $8000 in assets and a old car.
She is phisicaly fit, just needs medical coverage. I understand for medicaid, she can only have $2000 in assets to qualify. she doesn't need assisted living , just insurance coverage. on line medicaid is a nitemare.
is there a plan for her situation?. i know it takes hours of waiting at the mediaid office. does she need a medicaid lawyer?. could you shed some lite on this problem?.
Why isn't your sister receiving SS and Medicare? :confused:

Kruser

Thanks for your response. My sister was never married. She was a Calif school teacher, Calif does not take out SS, instead there money goes only into a retirement fund. She did have other jobs but not enough quarters for SS. No SS no Medicare. Is there a program for her situation?. Thanks Again.

ellencee

What happened to her retired teacher's insurance? Did she opt out? Is it available for her through the state's retired teacher's organization?

As far as Medicaid, she'll have to fill out the application or wait in the long line or appoint someone to represent her and let that person do so. She may qualify for a medical assistance only program if CA has one. She'll just have to apply with Medicaid and see what happens.

She will be allowed to have $2-3 thousand for burial expenses. Added to her $2,000 in assets, that is over half of her savings. She will be required to spend the remainder of her assets on her healthcare needs before Medicare pays.

EC
EC

Kruser

thanks for your response. When you retire your help insurance stops. Can't buyinto it. I guess they fiquire you are married and have husbands insurance. get his SS, and medicare. His pension and you keep your pension.
Thats been some help. guess just go there and sit for hours and find out . I hope she is up to it. If she goes to the hospital for a major problem and can't pay what happens to her and her care?.

ellencee

I'm not familiar with CA's retired teachers organization, but the states of which I am familiar allow the retired teacher to purchase insurance at the group rate for as long as the retired teacher chooses.

If she gets sick and is hospitalized or needs home health services or a nursing home, etc. a social worker will submit an application to Medicaid, and Medicaid will pay (after she pays the first $3-4,000 in her savings). Then, more likely than not, her Medicaid insurance will remain in effect.

EC

BlondiePB

In FL, the DCF has a division for elders. Pick up an application for your sister, have her fill it out, return it, and she will be mailed an appointment with the instructions of what she needs to bring.

Also, acquire a application from the the Health Care District from the county with which she resides. Has your sister made and paid for her final burial arrangements?

Kruser

Thank you both , you have been very informative. i don't know what DCF stands for but i'll try both . medicare on line just runs you around in circles.

BlondiePB

You're welcome. DCF = Department of Children and Families which is where applications for Medical Assistance are obtained. Have your sister make and pay for her final expenses now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">