• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I plead Nolo?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RivermontAve

I live in GA, and received a speeding ticket while trying to avoid an accident on Busbee Rd. in Cobb County... 58 in a 35 mi zone. I refuse to just plea guilty... if I hadn't accelerated, the guy on the crotch rocket behind me would have probably gotten hurt really bad. If I plea "not guilty" then it goes further, and there's no way I could get witnesses since I was driving alone.
I have heard of the "nolo contendre" plea, but I don't know if it would even apply to me in this situation. I don't have a problem paying the fine, but I'm 20 and I don't want points against my otherwise flawless driving record. Insurance is a bitch. Is there anyone that could help me out? Advice, information, encouragement...it would all be greatly appreciated. My court date is Monday morning, and I have been trying to find information for over a month. Please...I could use some help. -Megan

lwpat

Pleading Nolo will mean that you receive no points against your license but it still shows on your record for insurance surcharges. If you can get the officer to agree to reduce it to an under 14mph violation then it will not show on your record.

RivermontAve

How do I ask him to reduce it? I've never been through this before... please forgive my ignorance. Am I able to contact him somehow between now and Monday morning, or do I approach him at court...? I'm really worried... but I appreciate your help, so much. Thank you for responding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">