• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can My Disability Insurance Company Deny my Claim?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blackpoet70

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Maryland

I have disability insurance coverage through an insurance company based in Omaha, Nebraska (thus it's where it derives its name). I was disabled due to complications from an injury that I sustained at work in 1997. The reason I was disabled is because I needed surgery to repair the injured area because it hadn't healed properly initially.

My insurance company contacted me and I was informed that they are more than likely to deny my claim because it stemmed from a pre-existing injury. I can't find anything in my policy stating that pre-existing injuries are excluded from coverage, so can they legally deny my claim?

They have requested all of my medical records in reference to my injury, and have even gone so far as to request medical records from past illnesses and injuries. Is this normal, and is this legal?

Any help that you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Nathaniel Booker

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Without seeing how your policy is worded, it's impossible to give you a definite answer. However, your disability carrier is not obligated to pay for a claim that does not meet the definition of an eligible claim under the policy. If your claim does not meet that definition, then yes they can deny your claim.

Beth3

You also need to look at the policy language and see if it excludes occupational illnesses/injuries.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">