• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a resale permit needed for web-store

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Erin77777

What is the name of your state? Oregon
I'm looking into opening a little website to sell my art and some t-shirts. Do I need a sellers permit ? Do I collect tax if buyer is located in a state that has sales tax? Or is the taxation based on the location of the seller, which in this case would be the www. Any info GREATLY appreciated.

divgradcurl

Do I need a sellers permit ?
Contact the Oregon Secretary of State to find out for sure.

Do I collect tax if buyer is located in a state that has sales tax?
Generally you collect tax from buyers located within any state in which you have a physical presence -- so, in your case, only from OR buyers. However, this is any area of law subject to intense interest right now, so things may change...

Or is the taxation based on the location of the seller, which in this case would be the www.
Unless you are a Bot, your location isn't the web, but it is the state from which you physically run your business -- in your case, OR.

Things may get more compicated if you decide to incorporate in a state other than the one in which you are physically operating from.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">