• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice: Home Owner/Landlord Insurance going after us after accidental fire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lou_salvador

What is the name of your state? CA

We had a kitchen fire 2 months ago from a house we are renting.

My wife was cooking fish when the oil from the pan leaped from the pan and to the stove and it caught fire. My wife failed to stop the fire and it caught the back of the stove and reached to the ceiling. Fearing for her life and the life of my 2-yr old daugher they went out of the house and called 911. When the firemen came they were able to put out the fire but the kithen was totally damaged and the rest of the house were filled with smoke. The landlord did not provide a fire extinguisher.

Now, after several months, the insurance of the home owner sends us a large bill for the costs of repairs for the kitchen.

I do not have renters insurance and I am really frightened by the huge amount they were asking from us. We are really in need of some advice as to what to do next. Are we really at fault on the accident? Should we immediately get a lawyer?

Bigfoot

Your renter's insurance would have covered your contents. It is the owner's responsibility to carry dwelling insurance, to cover the structure. If the amount they are seeking is $5000 or less, you may be able to go to small claims court and have a local judge hear the matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">