• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA Radar Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U812

What is the name of your state? California

In Oct. I received a citation for 65/55 {VC 22406(a)}. The CHP Officer told me the 1st radar
reading he got was 66mph and that the reading when we crossed was 57mph. He wrote the
citation for 65mph. I didn't know it at the time, since this was my first citation in a commercial
vehicle, but tickets for violating VC 22406a are doubled if they are 10mph or over up to 70mph
(in my case the bail is set at $438.00). Due to economic hardship I don’t the money to pay the bail
+ the $39 Administrative fee + the $20-30 cost to enroll in traffic school. I realize that there is
little or no chance of getting the ticket dismissed and I definitely don’t want to lose the option to
attend traffic school.

I attempted to explain my financial situation to the (rude) court and I asked to go before the
judge to explain my situation to him, she told me that I had 3 options, I could pay the bail and
Plea Guilty or I could pay the bail and Plea Not Guilty and she would set a trial date, or I could
write a letter to the judge and explain the situation.
I figure the best bet in my situation is to try to get the fine reduced. I visited the Stalker Radar
distributor’s web page and printed a copy of the factory specifications page for the Radar unit that
I believe the CHP uses and the units accuracy is listed as being +/- 2 mph. The CHP officer (being
a real nice guy Ha Ha Ha!!) gave me a break and knocked off 1 mph.

Anyway, my question is: When I write the letter to the judge would it be reasonable to ask him to at least reduce the charge to 64 mph and the bail accordingly, taking into account that the accuracy of radar unit is listed as being +/- 2 mph.

JETX

U812 said:
When I write the letter to the judge would it be reasonable to ask him to at least reduce the charge to 64 mph and the bail accordingly, taking into account that the accuracy of radar unit is listed as being +/- 2 mph.
Reasonable?? Maybe. Is there a high chance the judge will reduce?? Probably not.

Simply, your ignorance of the higher penalty is not relevant. And the fact is... you WERE speeding.
Go ahead and write your letter. Then save your money to pay the fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">