• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judge tacked on a $50.00 extra charge for requesting traffic school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rsalazar98

I was at a court in California in Los Angeles and sat in a traffic court room.

There was a speeding case where a driver was driving over the speeding limit on the freeway and found guilty.

Before she left the court room she ask the baliff if he could ask the Judge if she could attend traffic school.

The Baliff asked and came back with this:
Judge said it would cost and extra $50.00 to go to traffic school ( these $50.00 are for court costs the balif said).

So instead of the extra $39.00 for traffic, just because she requested a trial and lost, she had to cough up an extra $50.00 for court costs. So now traffic school will cost this defendant $89.00 instead of $39.00 just because she wanted a trial.

This does not sound correct.

I have never heard of something so absurd of paying $50.00 extra (court costs) just to have your case heard.!!!

“ Your honor a Judge cannot routinely apply a policy against traffic school for those who go to trial and lose. (People v. Wozniak (1987) and People v.s Enochs”

Anyone know if this is correct?
What law does this fall under if this correct to do?

Any help will be appreciated because I have never heard or seen anything like this before.

thanks

Ruben

CdwJava

rsalazar98 said:
“ Your honor a Judge cannot routinely apply a policy against traffic school for those who go to trial and lose. (People v. Wozniak (1987) and People v.s Enochs”

Anyone know if this is correct?
What law does this fall under if this correct to do?

Any help will be appreciated because I have never heard or seen anything like this before.

thanks

Ruben
How do you know this is routine?

Plus, it has long been common practice in CA that traffic school is ONLY available BEFORE trial. Once a suspect goes to trial, they are told that traffic school "may not" be an option. I have seen it offered after a losing trial, but only rarely.

- Carl

rsalazar98

Actually they tell you its at their own discretion, but it is not true. You are entitled to traffic school even if you lose.

If interested please read (People v. Wozniak (1987) and People v.s Enochs” You are entitled to traffic school.

I don't think it says that the judge isn't allowed to deny school for you after trial. It just says that he has to consider it on a case by case basis, rather than make a blanket policy of no school.

The $50.00 extra dollars for court costs if case is heard, lose, and you request traffic school I have never heard of this before.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">