• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfair ticketing-Can I fight and win?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bcutie

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York, NY

I was stopped at a check point on the 59th Street bridge in Manhattan. The cop looked me up in the system and decided to write me a ticket for driving w/out insurance. I had just paid my insurance which was good until midnight that night and then would be reinstated the next day. (It was an hour or two after midnight when she stopped me)

I tried to explain this to the cop but she gave me the ticket anyway along with a nasty attitude. Now, the DMV says that because I wasn't able to show proof of insurance at the time, that they have to revoke my license. I am now expected to pay this ticket ($390) plus a fine ($700). If I pay, they will give me a one year restricted license. This sucks.

I want to fight this because I feel that I did have insurance and that the cop was just being unfair.

What is your advice and can you suggest a good lawyer who won't nickel and dime me.

Bravo8

If you insurance was cancelled at midnight (which was a few hours before you were stopped) and your insurance was scheduled to be reinstated the following day, then you didn't have insurance and shouldn't have been driving, correct?

bcutie

Unfair ticket

NYC

I didn't know my insurance had expired until I called the insurance co. the next day. They failed to notify me ahead of time, before this lapse happened.

Last edited:

JETX

bcutie said:
I didn't know my insurance had expired until I called the insurance co. the next day. They failed to notify me ahead of time, before this lapse happened.
Okay, so you admit that you were driving without insurance as the officer cited. However, you seem to be somehow trying to blame the insurance company for not 'notifying you'???
Of course, the responsibility is on YOU to make sure you are in compliance with ALL the laws (insurance, inspection, current drivers license, etc.) BEFORE you drive. You do NOT have a valid excuse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">