• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cracked Foundation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tvoss98

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

I'll try to make this as short as possible. My foundation has cracked due to a leak in the hot water pipe running through it on one side of my home. The insurance company first offered me a check to cover only the leaky pipe. After many complaints they offered me a second check to cover a minimal amount of the cosmetic repairs, after more complaints they offered me a third check to cover a few more of the cosmetic repairs. However they never offered anything to cover the actual foundation repairs. I could fix everything cosmetic, but that doesn't change the fact that there's a huge crack in my floor running from one end of the house, to the other. The agents response was "I gave you the third check because I'm a homeowner myself and I was being nice."

She tells me that they stopped covering foundations a while back, but I've had the policy for over 10 years, and have never signed anything stating that I agree with them altering it.

Shouldn't they be responsible for fixing my crack? :mad: Thanks in advance for the advice!

Check your policy

It's very normal for insurance carriers to revise their policy coverages from time to time. They don't always need your signature to do it. Every year when you get a copy of your policy, there should be a stack of legal mumbo-jumbo attached. If you read through it, it tells you what is excluded under the policy. It's not their fault if you don't read the information they provide you.

Each state has a department of insurance that governs this stuff. Try the Texas web site's consumer site. It has info on filing a complaint, if that's what you want to do, as well as tips on educating yourself on what your different policies cover.

http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/consumer/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">