• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who pays for water line work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ggrashof

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I own a condo in a building built in 1964. Many of the kitchen water lines have old cut-off valves that are broken - so the water cannot be turned off in the unit at all.

I had a dripping kitchen sink faucet and asked the manager in May if the condo maintenance man could replace the washer and fix the drip. He said I needed to replace the old faucet with a new one. I bought a new faucet component and in December, after begging for 5 months, the maintenance man called an outside plumber to install new cut-off valves and install my faucet hardware.

The condo manager has given me a bill for $217 for the service work. I had bought the faucet unit myself for $110. I sent the condo board a letter stating the facts and that the water line is a common element and the association should pay for the service work. The board president called to say I am responsible for the $217.

Please don't say "pay the bill" because I believe the water line is a common element.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

ggrashof said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri

I own a condo in a building built in 1964. Many of the kitchen water lines have old cut-off valves that are broken - so the water cannot be turned off in the unit at all.

I had a dripping kitchen sink faucet and asked the manager in May if the condo maintenance man could replace the washer and fix the drip. He said I needed to replace the old faucet with a new one. I bought a new faucet component and in December, after begging for 5 months, the maintenance man called an outside plumber to install new cut-off valves and install my faucet hardware.

The condo manager has given me a bill for $217 for the service work. I had bought the faucet unit myself for $110. I sent the condo board a letter stating the facts and that the water line is a common element and the association should pay for the service work. The board president called to say I am responsible for the $217.

Please don't say "pay the bill" because I believe the water line is a common element.
**A: pay attention- read and post the cite the section from your CC&R's that confirms that the water line is in fact a common element.

ggrashof

Who pays for kitchen pipe repair?

The C, C & R only refers to "pipes." No other mention or reference is made to whether the pipes are within the units. Since the building is a 15-story high-rise, there is a lot of problem pipe work, the risers, drains, water lines, etc. The building was built in 1964 and converted to condo's in 1974, using the older condo law in Missouri.

I believe that the shut-off valves on the kitchen water lines are common elements. Now the manager says in a letter sent to me this weekend that I agreed to pay for the valves and doesn't mention whether they are 'common elements.' I didn't agree to anything, except that the plumber and maintenance man enter my unit to repair the badly dripping faucet (with the new unit that I had purchased - per the manager's instructions).

I want to fight this. The manager and board can get nasty, but I feel I should stand up - even if it's only $218, or whatever and my drip is fixed.

HomeGuru

Do you have a problem following instructions?

HomeGuru said:
**A: pay attention- read and post the cite the section from your CC&R's that confirms that the water line is in fact a common element.

ggrashof

Kitchen sink shut-off valves

Yes, the shut off valves on the kitchen sink water line. The older, spindle type valves break off because they are old and the water is full of minerals. The new valves that were replaced are the latch-line types which have to be soldered on with a new copper pipe section.

The shut off valves are clearly in my unit under the kitchen sink, but shutting off my water line could benefit other unit owners, for repairs or to stop a leak from my unit into someone else's unit

You Are Guilty

Well, unless your CC&Rs say that the valves are part of the common area, (which I'd be shocked if they did), you're on the hook.

(And if they're silent on the issue, guess what that means!)

ggrashof

Kitchen sink water line problem

Thanks for your response.

I only wanted my kitchen faucet to stop dripping. The shut-off valves have been broken for several years. I informed the condo manager of the drip problem.

Follow the logic on this matter: the manager calls the plumber to repair the drip - - it was convenient for the manager to replace the shut-off valves on my nickel when all I wanted was the drip to stop. I paid for the faucet and then get a bill for the entire project. Should I ask to have the shut-off valves removed? I don't care about the shut-off valves - not in the least. Just the drip..........in the C, C & R, under the simple 'Common Elements' column, the only reference to any water pipes, is "pipes." THEY PAY or I FIGHT.

Happy Trails

ggrashof said:
Thanks for your response.

I only wanted my kitchen faucet to stop dripping. The shut-off valves have been broken for several years. I informed the condo manager of the drip problem.

Follow the logic on this matter: the manager calls the plumber to repair the drip - - it was convenient for the manager to replace the shut-off valves on my nickel when all I wanted was the drip to stop. I paid for the faucet and then get a bill for the entire project. Should I ask to have the shut-off valves removed? I don't care about the shut-off valves - not in the least. Just the drip..........in the C, C & R, under the simple 'Common Elements' column, the only reference to any water pipes, is "pipes." THEY PAY or I FIGHT.
You are not following the logic of the other posters. The shut-off valves benefit you. You cannot change your faucet or even replace a a seal on it, without shutting your water off.

You are the one who contacted the management and asked them to send the maintenance man to repair it. Even though you thought this would be covered under 'their' pipes.

This water line is not a common element, after the shut-off valve, it runs to your faucet only.

nanaII

Water shut-offs

The posters above are right about the shut-off valves. They are part of your condo. You are responsible for their maintenance/repair.

What I WOULD question is the cost of the repair. I would ask to see a copy of the bill they received from the plumber. You are responsible for whatever the HOA was billed, and you have a right to get a copy. You should not be charged any more than what the HOA was billed. (BTW, they must have some pretty lazy or inept maintenance men. These are normally pretty easy to repair, and something they should have been able to do.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">