• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal to file 2 claims?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sotellme

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas
I am considering reqeuesting that the company that sold me candles also pay for fire damage that I have to file an homeowner's insurance claim for. Is that illegal? It's their fault I will now have a hit on my insurance and have to go through the grief of cleanup and dealing with contractors !

Vicious Candle

How was the fire started? Was the candle defective? Why do you feel the company that sold you the candle is responsible for the damages?

If you've already filed the claim through your homeowners insurance, they will subrogate against anyone they feel is responsible. Subrogate means they'll try to recover their money. If you're asking if you can collect from both your insurance company and the store, the answer is no. You would be profitting in that situation and that's not the point of insurance. If the store pays you for the damage, you need to reimburse your insurance comapany for the money they paid out on the claim. If the store does pony up for the damages due to a defective product or whatever, then the "hit" against your claim history may be discounted.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">