• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Must Police Follow the Same Laws?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boarslight

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Just a quick question...Are law enforcement officials required to follow the same traffic laws as John Q. Public? It is a common occurrance in my area to see, or even follow, police who are traveling 15+ mph over the speed limit, and then see someone pulled over in the same area later for speeding. I have also witnessed police flashing their emergancy lights to roll through traffic lights, only to turn them off after passing through. It's just a bit disheartening to see this kind of action.

CdwJava

Let me explain it from the cop's perspective.

Let us say that you call to say that there is someone outside your window - a prowler or a burglar, or worse ... I am about 5 miles from your house. At the speed limit, I may be 5 to 10 minutes to get to your house depending on the nature and size of the city. However, to you (the victim) that 10 minutes can be the difference between life and death - or, at least, it might feel that way.

The law and department policy will not permit me to flip on the lights and sirens and roll with all the protections of the law, so I have two choices: travel at 25 MPH, come to complete stops, and follow ALL the rules of the road ... or, hightail it over to where you are so that you are not hurt or injured - or, that you at least have some peace of mind.

Most of us will choose to move our tails. Sometimes this means pushing the speed envelope a little, popping the lights or siren as needed for safety, and maybe pushing the limits of complete stops and other rules of the road.

In my state *I* would be entirely liable for a collision under these circumstances. Thus, this is a decision I might CHOOSE to make KNOWING the risks to myself both civilly and criminally.

The alternative is, you spend the longest 5 to 10 minutes of your life in ever-increasing fear or panic.

For most people who call the police, that is the most frightful experience of their life even if it is as "simple" as a burglary. And most of us want to get to where you are to help you.

So, remember, the next time you see a cop pushing the limit, the life he may be on his way to save might be that of someone you love.

- Carl

Last edited:

boarslight

Thanks for the perspective Carl-

I certainly do agree with that, and I don't want to come off as arrogant in any regard.
I do find it hard to believe, however, that everytime I'm behind a cop who is speeding, that they are on their way to investigate something...especially when I am on a long stretch of interstate between towns. I do have a number of friends who are cops, but I haven't thought of asking this question until now...I will certainly bring it up with them.
There is a stretch of highway on my way to work in which the speed limit is 55mph. After a few miles, it jumps to 70 mph. It is extremely common to drive along police officers every morning...doing anywhere between 60-75mph. Toward the end of the month, on that same stretch, they hide out and pull people over in mass...to me, that's a little shady. That is, however, just my opinion...
By no means am I trying to start a negative converstation...just trying to find stuff out!
Thanks again for reply.

CdwJava

No problem.

And certainly they aren't all on the way to calls. But we are all generally expected to obey the same rules of the road or suffer the consequences. If you observe an officer driving like a numb-nuts, then by all means, get the unit number and call the department. As a supervisor, I don't want to have my people running around driving like numbskulls when we have to cite people for the same thing that my officers are doing. But if nobody lets us know, then we won't be able to do anything about it.

And, frankly, very often, we don't think about it. We are trying to get from point A to point B and we might step on it a bit.

And the laws regarding some things may vary by state. In CA we are theoretically held to the same standard as everyone else, with SOME protection from liability being granted when operating lights AND siren within agency policies and procedures.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">