• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Double Parking at LAX / Shouldn't Safety Be the Highest Priority?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

US Asians

California / Los Angeles County

SITUATION:
Received a 22500H CVC (Double Parking) Ticket at LAX (Los Angeles International Airport

ACTION:
To Contest This Ticket

DETAILS:
** While picking up my 82 years mother at LAX, I was trying to locate her

** Upon locating her, I moved to the curb

** Traffic Officer approach me to verbally informed me that I was in violation

** My 5' 82 years old mother interpreted my stopping as an indication to enter the vehicle, which is a large SUV that is 22" from the ground

** In my attempt to comply with the officer's request, the following factors were involved during this time period
** ** My 82 years mother was opening the door to enter the vehicle
** ** I was 6" away from the vehicle in front of me
** ** The vehicle behind me was 1' away from me

** I ask the officer for the following:
** ** Request that my mom move away and disengage from the vehicle
** ** To assist/wait so that I can safely merge with the existing traffic
** ** To tell the vehicle either in front or behind me to move so that I can leave

** Officer's Response
** ** It's the driver's SOLE responsibility to have the ability to leave the area of "violations"
** ** It's not his responsibility to have the vehicle the ability to SAFELY comply with his request
** ** Ignore my request to inform my 82 years mother to not hold on to the vehicle
** ** In his pettiness, he placed the ticket on the passenger side of the vehicle, despite that he "wrote" the ticket on my side of the vehicle and there was no other passenger

CONCLUSION
** I believe that this ticket should be protested!

** This officer should be state his reasons and held accountable on insisting that I conduct actions that were not safe:
** ** Move a vehicle while an 82 years person is holding on to the door
** ** Hit a vehicles located 6" in front of me and 1' behind me
** ** To unsafely merge into traffic

** What documentation, details, pictures, etc. should I provide?

CdwJava

The procedures to protest the cite will be on the back of the citation. It is likely a city panel of some kind.

And the law does not allow for a "safety" exception to the parking section you cited, but it is possible that the review committee might agree with your interpretation of events and show leniency in spite of that.

- Carl

US Asians

California

-

Thank you for your reply.

It is odd that an officer would advice for a motorist to exit and creating an extremely unsafe situation for the driver - along with the strong possibility of causing bodily harm.

Hindsight being 20/20 - maybe I should have considered that option and sue the officer!

What steps/procedure should I follow to have the patrol officer state the reasons to cause multiple unsafe situations?

Having noted your response, it appears that if I inadvertently get "pinned" by other vehicles - I'm at the mercy of the officer.

Note: Why wouldn't the other vehicles get ticketed for blocking the exit of my vehicle?

Again, thank you for your response.

S

seniorjudge

If you are parked in a no/restricted parking area, then you are guilty of parking in a no/restricted parking area, even if (insert your explanation here).

You should be ashamed of putting your mother in this dangerous situation by double-parking.

You should write that officer a thank you note.

CdwJava

US Asians said:
It is odd that an officer would advice for a motorist to exit and creating an extremely unsafe situation for the driver - along with the strong possibility of causing bodily harm.
That may not be his interpretation of events. His may be that your actions precipitated this situation.

Hindsight being 20/20 - maybe I should have considered that option and sue the officer!
For what? That would be tossed as frivolous ... so it's not even a realistic option.

What steps/procedure should I follow to have the patrol officer state the reasons to cause multiple unsafe situations?
You can challenge the cite and see if he'll have to explain himself (which he probably won't). Or, you can file a complaint with the LAX Airport Police and see what they do. But, if he did have to explain himself, you might not be privy to that explanation.

Having noted your response, it appears that if I inadvertently get "pinned" by other vehicles - I'm at the mercy of the officer.
Could be.

Note: Why wouldn't the other vehicles get ticketed for blocking the exit of my vehicle?
Because there is no section fo the vehicle code that adequately covers that situation. And if there is a municipal code section in L.A., I am unfamiliar with it. And even if there was, I couldn't possibly answer that as I wasn't there.

Your best bet is either to pay the ticket or contest it using the procedures provided on the back. And if you contest it, the officer is likely to simply cite the elements of the violation and what you did to commit the violation. The rest will likely not be relevant from his perspective.

As I said, you may find a sympathetic ear.

- Carl

US Asians

seniorjudge said:
If you are parked in a no/restricted parking area, then you are guilty of parking in a no/restricted parking area, even if (insert your explanation here).

You should be ashamed of putting your mother in this dangerous situation by double-parking.

You should write that officer a thank you note.
Note of Clarification:
I was not parked, I didn't leave the vehicle and the vehicle's engine was never turned off.

I inform the officer that I understood the situation

The delay that was caused by my dialogue was interpreted by my 82 years old mother to enter the vehicle. I attempted to inform both the officer and my 82 years mother to allow me the ability to safely leave the area - as instructed.

Re: Ashamed
The unnecessary risks were directly as the result of the officer. In my search for my 82 years old mother, I proceeded to an area where there were a great number of other vehicles that provides a reasonable possibility that I can pick her up - along with the other people doing the same thing. The "SHAME" is with the officer since he heard/saw me loudly informing my 82 years old mother to not enter the vehicle.

Re: Thank You Note
I have other words that I do not have any "SHAME" of stating before a judge to clarify who is "accountable." Since signs are hard to locate at LAX and OBVIOUSLY there other vehicles around me (see above) that DID NOT get ticketed - why was I targeted?

Look forward to your legal explanation, if there is any.

CdwJava

US Asians said:
Note of Clarification:
I was not parked, I didn't leave the vehicle and the vehicle's engine was never turned off.
Not necessary for CVC 22500(h):

22500 No person shall stop, park, or leave standing any vehicle
whether attended or unattended, except when necessary to avoid
conflict with other traffic or in compliance with the directions of a
peace officer or official traffic control device, in any of the
following places:

(h) On the roadway side of any vehicle stopped, parked, or
standing at the curb or edge of a highway, except for a schoolbus
when stopped to load or unload pupils in a business or residence
district where the speed limit is 25 miles per hour or less.

Since signs are hard to locate at LAX and OBVIOUSLY there other vehicles around me (see above) that DID NOT get ticketed - why was I targeted?
Because he was one officer and he was dealing with you at that moment. It is NOT a legal defense to argue that others did the same thing so you shouldn't be held accountable.

Again, the citation can only be appealed through the process mentioned ON the citation. It does NOT go to court, and is a civil process.

- Carl

US Asians

From CdwJava:

That may not be his interpretation of events. His may be that your actions precipitated this situation.

For what? That would be tossed as frivolous ... so it's not even a realistic option.

** Thank you for your response. My reply would be that my conversation with the officer and the resulting delay was interpreted by my 82 years old mother as an opportunity to enter my vehicle. The officer (along with my mother) both CLEARLY heard my words that I wanted to leave.

-

You can challenge the cite and see if he'll have to explain himself (which he probably won't). Or, you can file a complaint with the LAX Airport Police and see what they do. But, if he did have to explain himself, you might not be privy to that explanation.

** Of course I expected that an officer paid by my tax dollars would not necessarily have to be accountable for his actions in most cases. I am probably maintaining a certain level of naiveté and hope that officers are responsible for their respective actions.

Because there is no section fo the vehicle code that adequately covers that situation. And if there is a municipal code section in L.A., I am unfamiliar with it. And even if there was, I couldn't possibly answer that as I wasn't there.

** Thank you for your reply and time to consider my question.

-

Your best bet is either to pay the ticket or contest it using the procedures provided on the back. And if you contest it, the officer is likely to simply cite the elements of the violation and what you did to commit the violation. The rest will likely not be relevant from his perspective.

** I am prepared to pay the ticket. The obnoxious behaivor of the officer, that was in response to my actions that could only be interpreted as my desire to comply with his request, is unacceptable.

** My goal is to create a situation where the officer has to appear to account for his actions.

Carl - again, my thanks for your time and attention to my question.

CdwJava

US Asians said:
** Thank you for your response. My reply would be that my conversation with the officer and the resulting delay was interpreted by my 82 years old mother as an opportunity to enter my vehicle. The officer (along with my mother) both CLEARLY heard my words that I wanted to leave.
This is not grounds for a civil suit against the officer, or anyone else for that matter.

** Of course I expected that an officer paid by my tax dollars would not necessarily have to be accountable for his actions in most cases. I am probably maintaining a certain level of naiveté and hope that officers are responsible for their respective actions.
You DO have the option of filing a complaint with the Airport Police Department. If you feel he was rude, unprofessional, etc., that is your legal right.

However, the nature of parking tickets will not generally require him to explain extraneous reasons why he gave you the citation, only to articulate the elements of the offense. Your argument would be what you have previously stated. And the officer would not be required to offer any further explanation ... he might, but he wouldn't have to.

Additionally, usually contested parking cites are done in writing, so you would not have the opportunity to make that inquiry of the officer anyway.

** I am prepared to pay the ticket. The obnoxious behaivor of the officer, that was in response to my actions that could only be interpreted as my desire to comply with his request, is unacceptable.

** My goal is to create a situation where the officer has to appear to account for his actions.
The remedy is a personnel complaint with the LAX Airport Police.

Carl - again, my thanks for your time and attention to my question.
You are welcome.

- Carl

US Asians

Carl:

Thank you for the explanation - is there a website where I can locate the exact language. In my initial attempts, I could not find the information - even through Google.

In my initial post, I had shared that I could not safely enter the traffic because of the following reasons:

** Traffic (officer was a hinderance)

** Traffic (vehicle was blocked by a vehicle "fore" and "aft"

** Note: There were other officers (2) in the immediate area - a matter of just a few feet.

Again, my thanks for illuminating the various issues that are related to my situation. It is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

--

22500 No person shall stop, park, or leave standing any vehicle
whether attended or unattended, except when necessary to avoid
conflict with other traffic or in compliance with the directions of a
peace officer or official traffic control device, in any of the
following places:

(h) On the roadway side of any vehicle stopped, parked, or
standing at the curb or edge of a highway, except for a schoolbus
when stopped to load or unload pupils in a business or residence
district where the speed limit is 25 miles per hour or less.

Because he was one officer and he was dealing with you at that moment. It is NOT a legal defense to argue that others did the same thing so you shouldn't be held accountable.

Again, the citation can only be appealed through the process mentioned ON the citation. It does NOT go to court, and is a civil process.

- Carl[/QUOTE]

CdwJava

US Asians said:
Thank you for the explanation - is there a website where I can locate the exact language. In my initial attempts, I could not find the information - even through Google.
Yes:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=04041624431+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

In my initial post, I had shared that I could not safely enter the traffic because of the following reasons:

** Traffic (officer was a hinderance)

** Traffic (vehicle was blocked by a vehicle "fore" and "aft"

** Note: There were other officers (2) in the immediate area - a matter of just a few feet.
And these may gain sympathy from the reviewers - and possibly a dismissal of the cite, but, on the other hand, they may not be sufficient to absolve you of the elements of the offense.

- Carl

US Asians

CdwJava said:
Yes:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=04041624431+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve
they may not be sufficient to absolve you of the elements of the offense.
- Carl
I am prepared to pay for the ticket

It is of great interest to me to hear the arbitrator's words (I prefer to hear from the officer) on why I received the ticket despite my my clearly stated intentions to comply.

Facts listed below were previously stated:
It would be interesting to hear their words on what I'm supposed to do if vehicles (that are in violation of the same offense since we were in the same area) have physically blocked by path, unable to safely merge to traffic and/or faced with the option of physically injuring somebody.

It would be of interest to hear why the other vehicles in the same area that have stopped did not get ticketed.

Of course, I acknowledge that there are various officers who are basically s.....d i...ts and there is no viable recourse to have an arbitrator with both parties present (ala moving ticket violations) have the facts presented for his decision. Of course, this officer didn't hear my voice, despite going hoarse in my attempts to have him understand English - which is a big assumption.

As always, my thanks for providing me with tangible explanations and facts. I acknowledge the validity of your previous statements and have definitely considered your words seriously.

Thank You.

US Asians

CdwJava said:
You DO have the option of filing a complaint with the Airport Police Department. If you feel he was rude, unprofessional, etc., that is your legal right.

The remedy is a personnel complaint with the LAX Airport Police.
- Carl
What is the procedure to file a complaint with the LAX Airport Police?

Note: I appreciate the information that you possess and the nature of your posts. Again, thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">