• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expired Tabs/Deferal Question WA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Watchout5

What is the name of your state? Washington

I today was pulled over in a company van for expired tabs, having told my boss about it almost a month ago and no one pulling me over for it I figure it was taken care of like the insurance I complained for. At any rate I got this ticket today and I had taken part of the deferal thing with a speeding ticket. It's not been a year yet and I get this ticket, my question is does this ticket bring that back up and basicly what should I do?

Yes, I know I was the driver and assume responsibility but I don't think it's fair just because my boss doesn't want to spend the 50 bucks on tabs I shouldn't have to pay (as he will be paying the ticket that came out to like $100 and probably reduced as we're getting tabs as soon as it passes emissions) for a ticket that in a way I couldn't really help. At any rate I'm looking for advise as there is no way I could actually afford to pay for that fine that I defered if I in fact would have to pay it.

I heard something about my boss assuming responsibility or something like that, I'm not sure if he would go for that but I'm willing to try anything to get out of paying for HUGE insurance (as a speeding ticket would crush a 19 year old in that department). Thanks all

S

seniorjudge

For equipment violations, often the statute reads that it is the owner (not the driver) who gets the ticket.

This concept is apparently very hard for some law enforcement people to understand.

In any event, check the statute under which you were given the ticket to see who is responsible.

Watchout5

seniorjudge said:
For equipment violations, often the statute reads that it is the owner (not the driver) who gets the ticket.

This concept is apparently very hard for some law enforcement people to understand.

In any event, check the statute under which you were given the ticket to see who is responsible.
Do you happen to know for washington state? I'd love to be able to just let my boss know this goes on his record without having to ask him to be nice. I kinda work for a bonehead and I'll look into it as well. Thank you very much.

S

seniorjudge

Watchout5 said:
Do you happen to know for washington state? I'd love to be able to just let my boss know this goes on his record without having to ask him to be nice. I kinda work for a bonehead and I'll look into it as well. Thank you very much.

To repeat myself:

Go to the public library and look it up. The statute number is on your court papers.

racer72

You can look up the statute you were cited for here. The proper thing to have done was refuse to drive the vehicle till it was properly licensed.

S

seniorjudge

racer72 said:
...The proper thing to have done was refuse to drive the vehicle till it was properly licensed....
How is he supposed to know that?

Your answer may be legally correct but if the guy refuses to drive, he's out of a job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">