• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retainer Fee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sty17

What is the name of your state? Texas

I contacted a divorce lawyer on a Thursday- payed $3000 dollar "non refundable" retainer, signed the contract. Was told they would start processing the case Monday, they were closed Friday thru Sunday. Saturday I having talked to my wife further decided not to go forward with divorce. Called and left a message on answering machine and emailed the secratary of the lawyer stating that fact. I got ahold of the office first thing Monday morning reaffirming my intent.

Was told that the monies were not refundable. Ok, my problem, but reading the contract, it seems vague about it because wording stated non refundable for work done.

There were no papers processed, the office never worked or drafted anything.
I said I would be glad to pay for any time accured( 3 phone calls secratary, Office visit to sign contract etc.) No deal!

Any general recourse for me here? Although the contract states it non refundable it somewhat ties it to work done on case, if there were no work processed does it apply? Dont have contract with me now or I would type specific wording. Hey if I blew it I blew it, never hurts to inquire.

Thanks

Sty17 --Hope this is the right fourm if not I can repost in correct fourm

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

TEXAS
State Bar of Texas
P.O. Box 12487
Austin, TX 78711
512-463-1463

Tell these folks what you said in your post. Non-refunable deposits where no work was performed is looked down upon by disciplinary counsels.

Sty17

Thank you for the reply. I am going to verbally contact this lawyer one more time, followed by a letter. If nothing is resolved guess I will have to go the suggest route.

Thanks

Sty17

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">