• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend in Need of Help!!!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mark_design79

What is the name of your state? California

I was wondering if any one could help out with this question. I have a friend who's mother is currently watching over her son's child. Her son has full custody of the child and now the maternal grandparents are trying to obtain custody of the child. My friend is worried that his nephew will be taken away from his mother and since my friend's brother is currently in rehab for substance abuse they are not sure what to do. Do they have any rights, and can they obtain custody if the brother in rehab relinquishes his right to his mother. Please help out with some sort of answers, this is a very close friend of mine and I hate to see him hurt.

LdiJ

mark_design79 said:
What is the name of your state? California

I was wondering if any one could help out with this question. I have a friend who's mother is currently watching over her son's child. Her son has full custody of the child and now the maternal grandparents are trying to obtain custody of the child. My friend is worried that his nephew will be taken away from his mother and since my friend's brother is currently in rehab for substance abuse they are not sure what to do. Do they have any rights, and can they obtain custody if the brother in rehab relinquishes his right to his mother. Please help out with some sort of answers, this is a very close friend of mine and I hate to see him hurt.
Where is the child's mother? Obviously there are some fitness issues with the child's father, if its equally true that there are fitness issues with the child's mother then basically both sets of grandparents have an equal chance at custody. Your friend's mother needs to petition for custody ASAP if the maternal grandparents have already done so. I would recommend getting an attorney quickly.

However if mom is around, and mom is not unfit, then mom is the one who could easily get custody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">