• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC parking ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlasslet

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I took my family into New York to see the Christmas tree. I don't know if
you've ever parked in NYC, but the signage can be VERY confusing. I parked in a spot that I thought was legal, and I paid the meter. There were other cars parked on the same street. I was gone for 30 minutes and came back to a $115 parking ticket. Apparently the spot was a commercial zone until 6 PM, and I parked the car at 5:40. I think this ticket is outrageous.

Being a Maryland resident who doesn't plan to drive back into NYC, I don't think they can really compel me to pay this incredibly high ticket. My friend told me that the only thing they can do is tow my car if they see it in New York. Is that true?

S

seniorjudge

"Being a Maryland resident who doesn't plan to drive back into NYC, I don't think they can really compel me to pay this incredibly high ticket. My friend told me that the only thing they can do is tow my car if they see it in New York. Is that true?"

Give 'er a shot, pard. Let me know since I am going to try the same thing. Post back with results, hear?!

jvma

I recevied a ticket from NYC too!

I'm a resident of Massachusetts. I went to NYC in Apr 04 and received a parking ticket. I fed the meter, but you could only feed 1 hour at a time. Restrictions lifted at 6pm and I got a parking ticket at 5:45pm.

They've been sending me notices for the last 6 months. I have no intention to pay the $65 (now up to $130 with late fees). However, their notices are becoming increasingly nasty and saying:

1)they can seize my property (withing their jurisdiction)

2)they can garnish my wages

Now, I don't have any property in NYC and I don't ever plan to return. But I'm worried because I don't know if they can legally garnish my wages or not.

How long have you ignored your ticket?

jvma

I contacted the MA RMV

The following was my letter to the MA RMV in an attempt to clarify what my rights are:

"NYC has threatened to suspend my license/registration, tow my vehicle,
garnish my wages, and issue a warrant for my arrest. My question is: can
NY legally do this to me?

Would my MA registration or driver's license be affected by a NY parking
ticket. If NY were to issue a warrant for my arrest, would MA police
officers take me to jail?

I am confused and ignorant of interstate law and I am not aware of my
rights."

Their response did not answer the questions in my email. So, I resent the email with the questions highlighted:

"Would my MA registration or driver's license be affected by a NY parking
ticket. If NY were to issue a warrant for my arrest, would MA police
officers take me to jail?"

This time, their answer was:

"Please contact the local police department for your inquiries about the warrant. If the state of New York suspends their residents' right to operate for non-payment of parking tickets, then you could possibly be affected by this situation. Please direct these questions to the New York registry."

Why are these questions so difficult to answer?

You Are Guilty

Because what can happen is rarely what does happen. While you theoretically, at least, can suffer the fate that the NYC PVB threatens you with, the odds of it actually occuring are less than 100%.

Chalk it up to the "competance" of the State DMV workers :)

Why not just pay it and not gamble, especially when it does sound like you're guilty?

S

seniorjudge

"Why are these questions so difficult to answer?"

They are not difficult to answer. I will answer them for you:

Please contact the local police department for your inquiries about the warrant. If the state of New York suspends their residents' right to operate for non-payment of parking tickets, then you could possibly be affected by this situation. Please direct these questions to the New York registry.

jvma

Cute response from "seniorjudge."

I can appreciate the response from "you are guilty." It seems that many people are trying to get away with something. If you knowingly committed an offense, you should be responsible for your actions.

However, there are times when a person feels justified in their actions. From the start, I tried to do the right thing. I plugged the meter for maximum time (1 hour). After 1 hour, I made sure to go back to my car and put in an add't quarter for the next 15 minutes until restrictions were lifted (6pm). I was receiving a ticket upon my return. When I asked the officer if I should move my car, he said, "no. restrictions are lifted now."

It's not that I cannot afford this $130 ticket (originally $65). Sometimes, you have to speak up for what you feel is right.

<exit soapbox>

You Are Guilty

I have lived (and parked) in NYC for about 15 years now and have received more than my share of parking tickets, some deserved, some not. I have had rather good success getting most dismissed, but every now and then, even I pay up when I know I'm in the wrong, no matter how "good" my intentions were.

You may be eligible to just pay the base ticket price w/o all that interest, but you'd need to plead guilty as part of the deal. But even if not, is $130 worth the risk you take with your license and having NYS chasing you down for something you did do? Only you can determine that.

Good luck either way. You can find all the info you might need in the future here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">