• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should we convert to condos

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BettyLou102

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I own a 2-family house with my brother and sister-inlaw. They on 50% and I own 50%.

We each have different needs, they are spending money to renovate their kitchen and plan to stay here forever. I would like to move on in the next couple of years.

Problems are arising over them spending more to update, hence they should get a larger percentage when/if we sell the house. I'm wondering if we will be better off converting the property into condos so we can each be responsible for our own unit, to fix up, stay or go as we please.

Is this a good idea? Will the value of the house/units increase or decrease if we turn them into condo units? If we decide to go the condo route, how do we get started?

S

seniorjudge

BettyLou102 said:
...Is this a good idea? Will the value of the house/units increase or decrease if we turn them into condo units? If we decide to go the condo route, how do we get started?...
Read all the posts on this forum about condos. The problems are awful.

I wouldn't even drive close to one, much less buy one.

HomeGuru

BettyLou102 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I own a 2-family house with my brother and sister-inlaw. They on 50% and I own 50%.

We each have different needs, they are spending money to renovate their kitchen and plan to stay here forever. I would like to move on in the next couple of years.

Problems are arising over them spending more to update, hence they should get a larger percentage when/if we sell the house. I'm wondering if we will be better off converting the property into condos so we can each be responsible for our own unit, to fix up, stay or go as we please.

Is this a good idea? Will the value of the house/units increase or decrease if we turn them into condo units? If we decide to go the condo route, how do we get started?
**A: it appears to be a good idea. Talk to a condo real estate attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">