• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protesting On The Roof

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

ihopethishelps

What is the name of your state? Illinios
I want to protest George Bush either on the roof of my school or on the ground if I must, but wanted to know my rights for when I do so. What can I not do. Do I need a permit. Do I need to stay off of certain property?

Happy Trails

ihopethishelps said:
I want to protest George Bush either on the roof of my school or on the ground if I must, but wanted to know my rights for when I do so. What can I not do. Do I need a permit. Do I need to stay off of certain property?
I can only find a general outline for protesting, found at this link:

http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3a25f19d71b0.htm

D.C. Chapter of Free Republic.com

RULES FOR PROTESTING

No violence, no threats, no profanity, no racism, no law-breaking.

Law enforcement officers must be treated with respect.

Stay out of the street at all times, except when using a crosswalk with the traffic light.

Do not block the sidewalk to pedestrian traffic. Keep your signs from hanging over into the street.

Do not block the signs of, nor get within 10 feet of, pro-Gore demonstrators. Do not interfere with any media coverage of them. Our First Amendment rights are their rights, too.

Any arguments should be at 10 feet away to avoid conflict arising from passions on both sides. If you choose to get close to them physically, do so in friendship as fellow Americans only.

Do not give the middle finger, call people jerks, tell them to go home or get a job.

Take the high road. Be civil, but resolute. Give the 3 finger "Dubya" salute; point out the rudeness of Gore supporters (a thumbs down or "Gore won" cry is not rude) by chanting, "Mean spirited arrogant condescending liberal".

Remember, we are here to support the rule of law under the U.S. Constitution. These protest rules have stood us well for the past two years in front of the White House and across the nation.

Thank you for standing up for America,

The D.C. Chapter of FreeRepublic.com

***You cannot go onto private property or the school roof. I'm not sure about the school grounds but they may ask you to leave the school grounds.

I

ihopethishelps

Happy Trails said:
I can only find a general outline for protesting, found at this link:

http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3a25f19d71b0.htm
thanks for giving me that even though it is a republican site. Well it helps, but i have heard that there are different laws for school property. Something like it is public property, but it doesnt count as public property when it is like a non student or parent either walking around inside the school or out on thier property. anyone else heard about this?

racer72

Despite what a lot of folks think, there are certain government owned properties are not public property. Places such as schools, court buildings and offices, correctional facilities, and military reservations are not public property. You can be arrested for trespassing at any of these facilities if you do not have specific permission to be there.

HomeGuru

Bigfoot said:
You'll be within the boundaries of the law if you stand at least 2 inches above the roof.
**A: legally, the owner of the property in which the roof of the building is located, owns the air space above the roof, subject to FAA rights and easements. I would recommend a hunger strike protest instead.

CdwJava

ihopethishelps said:
Okay ... you cannot disrupt the school process and you cannot go climbing on rooftops unless ANYONE can go climbing on the rooftops. If you go on the roof, you are likely to be suspended at the very least.

You can make your statement at a time when others on campus are allowed to do the same thing, but you cannot disrupt the learning environment nor commit other offenses to do so.

You're right to express your political views is not absolute under all circumstances. So, do it during lunch time ... besides, that ought to be when there is the biggest audience anyway. Just be lucky that you're not at a school in my part of CA because you might get the bum's rush by the students.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">