• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

suspended license renewed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wow21

What is the name of your state? PA

I got a driving under suspension citation in Pittsburgh, then immediately discovered I had an unpaid speeding ticket in Ohio. I paid the ticket and got my license renewed. My traffic court date is upcoming, and I pled not guilty, hoping to explain to the judge that I am now a "legal driver" and no danger to society.

What are the chances of this actually working?

Thanks

S

seniorjudge

"What are the chances of this actually working?"

50-50

Those are the BEST your chances in court will ever be on anything, from overtime parking to capital murder.

Bravo8

SeniorJudge is right on the money.

It also depends largely on the Judge's demeanor. Our local Magistrate would most likely dismiss the citation, but I know of other Judges in my county who would likely find you guilty.

Kind of hit or miss, but it doesn't hurt to try......

ase tech

Actually your chances are pretty good, my wife got a driving on suspended charge in Illinois she paid a ticket got her license back and went to court and the judge threw out the driving on suspended charge.

Bravo8

ase tech said:
Actually your chances are pretty good, my wife got a driving on suspended charge in Illinois she paid a ticket got her license back and went to court and the judge threw out the driving on suspended charge.
How does one single occurence make the OP chances "pretty good"?

wow21

Re:

I would think that courts would want to encourage people to maintain valid drivers licenses, even those that were guilty at the time of the offense.

But who knows...we'll see what happens. I accept whatever decision handed down as fair and legitimate.

S

seniorjudge

wow21 said:
...I would think that courts would want to encourage people to maintain valid drivers licenses, even those that were guilty at the time of the offense....
This is definitely a point in your favor.

You would be amazed by the number of defendants who get to court and tell the judge that they didn't get their license...they wanted to see what happened in court first.

I have NEVER understood that logic!

wow21

Re:

Yeah, that is silly. I'm assuming that the legal system wants to see honest effort made on the part of the perpetrtor to correct their problem.

I should add that the police officer was very kind. She even told I could drive home...hopefully she'll be cool in court too, but who knows.

S

seniorjudge

wow21 said:
Yeah, that is silly. I'm assuming that the legal system wants to see honest effort made on the part of the perpetrtor to correct their problem.

I should add that the police officer was very kind. She even told I could drive home...hopefully she'll be cool in court too, but who knows.
Get there early
Do not smoke, eat, or chew gum
Do not wear message tee shirts
Do dress neatly and cleanly
Bathe and have clean hair
Be exceptionally courteous...say yes ma'am/sir; no ma'am/sir
If you see the cop, say, "Good morning, ma'am. I have my license." And show it to her.

wow21

Re:

I'll do all the above and let you know when it happens.

One more question...I was told I can reschedule the court date one time. I need to do that now. Will this make it seem like I'm delaying? I'm not, it's just a scheduling conflict and the traffic court date notice specifically allows one postponement.

S

seniorjudge

wow21 said:
I'll do all the above and let you know when it happens.

One more question...I was told I can reschedule the court date one time. I need to do that now. Will this make it seem like I'm delaying? I'm not, it's just a scheduling conflict and the traffic court date notice specifically allows one postponement.
That's not a problem; lawyers do this all the time. But only once!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">