• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what can I do about my WorkmanComp. Lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cdkelley

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?California

I'm having serious doubts about my W.C. lawyer who is representing me in a injury-on-the-job,& wrongful termination case.As soon as he heard my case he told me that he was taking my case pro bono & repeated this several times during the last year & 1/2 that the case has been ongoing.I was fired for a petty reason a few weeks agfter returning to work ,thus the wrongful termination case too.
I have done at least 99% of all the legwork for my case since he was doing my case pro-bono.Now that he finally filed the paperwork for wrongful termination & reinbursment of back wages lost + my benefits that were denied ,he has sent me a letter with a contract asking me to just sign it & return the form.In the contract he says that he wants a third of my settlement if I win.If I lose he would recieve his normal fee of 12%.This is the first that he has ever mentioned any fee to me.We had talked on the phone & also via email for a few days in a row & it was on one of these days I recieved the letter.
well to get to the end quicker I just want to add that he doesn't seem to do anything too much & he never lets me know what's up with my case.He wouldn't have remembered the wrongful term.paperwork if I wouldn't have reminded him .& I asked him to file the same day I was terminated & that was over a year ago.But I he barely filed them about a month ago.
The other thing is that he had me see this Dr (who supposedly is a friend in the business)& I really do not feel comfortable with the fate of my case being in her hands .She had to re-schedule my appointment when I went last Tuesday because she said that she didn't know what I was there for(i.e.which kinda of tests/exam)! I thought this totally unproffessional.

Can I somehow get all of my paperwork back & get a new lawyer at this point in the game? What will that do to my case & the time that's already passed? Would a new lawyer just be able to pick up & continue or will I have to start all over?What about the ?Dr.Do I have to go to his doctor?I know that she's already charging $250.00 for a visit that I went to a year ago last Jan.2004
I saw what she wrote in my patient records about the visit & now I know why the state declined paying for the bill.I'm beginning to feel like I'm being scammed & it's so hard to tell.
Please let me know if anybody knows what I should do & the consequences of any new actions I might have to do.
Sorry this is such a long post!Thanks in advance!
Cathy

S

seniorjudge

No lawyer worth his salt is going to try to come in as second fiddle and take over this case.

S

seniorjudge

cdkelley said:
why? is this such a hard case?
I do not know how hard your case is; it's just that another lawyer does not want to try to take over a case that he didn't start.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">