• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boards Decision Gives Unfair Rent Advantage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SUNNY RAYE

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
I belong to an association that consists of 40 cabanas on the beach of Hatteras, NC. A year and half ago, Hurricane Isabel came through and destroyed all but 11 cabanas. We are still trying to get back up and running. Originally all the cabanas were sided in cedar. Because of the new building codes, 14 of the cabanas being rebuilt, can not be sided in cedar because they are too close together. Our Board of Directors voted to have Hardi Plank put on them instead. These look fantastic! They're Colonial Grey with white trim. Next to them the original cabanas look awful. The board also decided to side the remaining 15 cabanas being rebuilt in the Hardi Plank. They did this because they look nicer and our by-laws state that the cabanas need to look the same. This same Board does not want to re-side the standing units. We as an association were underinsured. We will be forced to take out some kind of loan to help with the rebuilding of the office and the grounds and the Board doesn't want to take out any more than they feel is necessary. (what about the all cabanas need to look the same). When we have our re-opening, there will be 29 new cabanas that look great and 11 original cabanas in various shades of weather cedar. This will not only reduce the property value of the association as a whole, but will affect the rental potential for the original cabanas. Can an Association be allowed to make a decision that will have a definate negative rental impact on some of its members while having a definate positive rental impact on the rest? What can I do to make them re-side all the cabanas.
Can someone help me?

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

"Can someone help me?"

Run for the board. Political power is great!

HomeGuru

SUNNY RAYE said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina
I belong to an association that consists of 40 cabanas on the beach of Hatteras, NC. A year and half ago, Hurricane Isabel came through and destroyed all but 11 cabanas. We are still trying to get back up and running. Originally all the cabanas were sided in cedar. Because of the new building codes, 14 of the cabanas being rebuilt, can not be sided in cedar because they are too close together. Our Board of Directors voted to have Hardi Plank put on them instead. These look fantastic! They're Colonial Grey with white trim. Next to them the original cabanas look awful. The board also decided to side the remaining 15 cabanas being rebuilt in the Hardi Plank. They did this because they look nicer and our by-laws state that the cabanas need to look the same. This same Board does not want to re-side the standing units. We as an association were underinsured. We will be forced to take out some kind of loan to help with the rebuilding of the office and the grounds and the Board doesn't want to take out any more than they feel is necessary. (what about the all cabanas need to look the same). When we have our re-opening, there will be 29 new cabanas that look great and 11 original cabanas in various shades of weather cedar. This will not only reduce the property value of the association as a whole, but will affect the rental potential for the original cabanas. Can an Association be allowed to make a decision that will have a definate negative rental impact on some of its members while having a definate positive rental impact on the rest? What can I do to make them re-side all the cabanas.
Can someone help me?
**A: you have posed a very interesting situation. Contact the other 11 affected owners and all get together and hire an attorney to give you a legal opinion.

S

seniorjudge

HomeGuru said:
**A: you have posed a very interesting situation. Contact the other 11 affected owners and all get together and hire an attorney to give you a legal opinion.
I agree. Please post back with the results. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">