• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI benefits denied! Please helP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zgembo

What is the name of your state?Virginia

Hello all,

I will start from scratch and hopefuly someone will have an answer for me. My mother has been here in USA just little over 7 years, she is here legaly but does not have a Permanent Green card yet. She has been given Temporary Card, and the reason is that Nerbraska messed up somewhere and has delayed my mothers Permanent Green Card for about two years now. each time she goes to check in Immigration Center they tell her to wait.

Now, my mother has injured her knee which was weak due to the arthritis, she had a surgery and cannot use her knee as she used to, nor can she walk or stand for more then few minutes.

Here we applied for SSI Disability Benefits and were denied.

Then the arthritis has spread all over her body and is causing her a lot of pain, she can't move around without being in a lot, and I mean a lot of pain. She cannot lift anything, she has to even use her right hand to support her left hand when moving. On the top off all that she also is overweight due to the thyroid that she has, she cannot lose weight even though she is using all the medicine as prescribed by doctors.

So we appealed to their decision and once again were deined, even though we have explaind in detail that her condition has gotten a lot worse since we first applied for SSI Benefits. So we decided to get a lawyer, but this time she was denied even before talking to anybody because she has been in USA for over 7 years and is not a citizen yet, so for she does not qualify for SSI Benefits at all?!? It is not her fault that Nebraska meesed up and delayed her Permanent Green Card for over two years, and she still has not gotten it.

We are desperate, she cannot work, her husband makes to little to pay for bills, and we have been played around both with SSI and Immigration.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do? Legally?

Can we apply for citizenship even thought she does not have her Permanent Green Card but has been here for over 7 years?

Can we get a lawyer to prove that it is not my mothers fault that she does not have her Green Card yet?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">