• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FYI: 70 in a 65 gets tossed out in Georgia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Terrminator

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? GA

Last week I received a speeding award for going 5 over -- I was in disbelief and wondered if anyone had ever gotten such a ticket in this state. Apparently, the answer is a qualified "no". According to the probate court, tickets for 5 or less carry no fine and are not reported on your record in the state of Georgia. (The court clerks were laughing at the ticket and trying to figure out who would hand out such a meaningless ticket.)

So, the question this begs is this: why post a "speed limit" that is not in fact a true speed limit? In Georgia, the speed limit doesn't legally kick in until 5 mph over the posted limit. And people wonder why drivers have such little respect for the speed limit? Well, there's your answer.

S

seniorjudge

Terrminator said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? GA

Last week I received a speeding award for going 5 over -- I was in disbelief and wondered if anyone had ever gotten such a ticket in this state. Apparently, the answer is a qualified "no". According to the probate court, tickets for 5 or less carry no fine and are not reported on your record in the state of Georgia. (The court clerks were laughing at the ticket and trying to figure out who would hand out such a meaningless ticket.)

So, the question this begs is this: why post a "speed limit" that is not in fact a true speed limit? In Georgia, the speed limit doesn't legally kick in until 5 mph over the posted limit. And people wonder why drivers have such little respect for the speed limit? Well, there's your answer.

I was so disappointed you deleted your other thread.

You are very entertaining!

cjoeb

Terrminator said:
you would have to check your statutes.
up until last year here in NM, the speed law violation was a graduated scale. 6-15 over the limit, 16-25, etc. yes, you could not get a speeding ticket unless you were going 7+ miles over the posted limit. this has now been changed to 1-10 over the limit, etc.

rmet4nzkx

cjoeb said:
you would have to check your statutes.
up until last year here in NM, the speed law violation was a graduated scale. 6-15 over the limit, 16-25, etc. yes, you could not get a speeding ticket unless you were going 7+ miles over the posted limit. this has now been changed to 1-10 over the limit, etc.
It doesn't matter what the law is in NM, OP deleted his opiginal thread where he admits to passing a long line of cars, at the front of which was a trooper setting a speed break because it was a holiday weekend, he then knowingly flaunted his disrespect for the law bay passing the trooper, rather than falling back into line with the other vehicles going the speed limit.

Probate court for a traffic infraction?
:confused:

S

seniorjudge

"...(The court clerks were laughing at the ticket and trying to figure out who would hand out such a meaningless ticket.)..."

Yep...I've got some swampland just outside Reno I could give you a really good deal on....

Terrminator

rmet4nzkx said:
It doesn't matter what the law is in NM, OP deleted his opiginal thread where he admits to passing a long line of cars, at the front of which was a trooper setting a speed break because it was a holiday weekend, he then knowingly flaunted his disrespect for the law bay passing the trooper, rather than falling back into line with the other vehicles going the speed limit.

Probate court for a traffic infraction?
:confused:
Don't believe me? Here's the link: http://www.oconeecounty.net/Government/Judiciary/

Terrminator

seniorjudge said:
"...(The court clerks were laughing at the ticket and trying to figure out who would hand out such a meaningless ticket.)..."

Yep...I've got some swampland just outside Reno I could give you a really good deal on....
Oh yeah, seniorjudge, I'm sure you know the Georgia court system intimately.

S

seniorjudge

Terrminator said:
Oh yeah, seniorjudge, I'm sure you know the Georgia court system intimately.
I know court clerks intimately....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">