• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Release of Social Security Numbers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDamian

What is the name of your state? Washington
Question: What is the legal requirement of disclosure of my Social Security number (SSN) to a company when requesting services?
I was trying to have DISH Network hook me up with satellite service and part of their application form requires my SSN. After requesting my SSN and a major credit card, I was informed that it was for a credit check and without my SSN, I wouldn't be able to obtain their services. I balked about it and decided that I wouldn't release my SSN just so that they could do a credit check on me. I had given them my name, address, credit card number, etc., but they still required that I provide my SSN. I believe that I am protected by the Privacy Act and not release my SSN to them because there are other ways to do a credit check without my SSN.

Please help!

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">