• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad Credit and Security Clearance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djsuperz

What is the name of your state? TX

I was recently offered a job but it requires security clearance. I have a spotless record: no drugs, no felony offenses and this is my first time to apply for security clearance. Although i have bad credit, all of my large debts are paid off but they still remain on my credit report. I have a few small debts on my report but i'm in the process of paying them at this moment. Do i still have a chance of being granted security clearance?

CdwJava

Are your debts in collections? That could really cause problems.

If not, then it really depends on the nature of the position and the criteria/risk attached to the position.

- Carl

djsuperz

Yes

I'm doing the ESPQ SF86, national agency check as a contractor. I have paid off my large debts but they still are on my credit report, my credit report says that i have settled the amounts. I am currently making payments on 2 debts and they are combined under $600. So my total debt right now is $600. Does it also depend on what type of job i'm going to do? I will be doing a contract that supports the government for a staffing agency. In otherwords the government doesnt pay my check another corporation does. Since this isnt an official government/military job will my bad credit matter as much?

JETX

djsuperz said:
Since this isnt an official government/military job will my bad credit matter as much?
No one can answer your questions, as they are not LEGAL... but more of a policy one.... dependent on the policy of the potential employer and the involved government agency.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">