• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with job, Medical license,DEA and LIFE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dalwood

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?

Original state of crime............SC.
I am an Internal Medicine Physician, who got caught in a web of Oxycontin/Pain mgmt, while working as locums for 40 days,working in a pain clinic without the knowledge of that clinic is under investigation since 1996 (Nobody told me that) being naive to go to DEA office and telling them routine clinic operation........All of sudden, DEA agents show up on my door step.............arrest me....lost everything I worked for 28 yrs...plead guilty, as I have no other choice....legal expenses....no big money to fight back DEA, currently under supervised probation for 2 years, got my license back (without any restrictions), pending DEA Number, But HHS imposed sanctions for 5 yrs..any thing to do with "federal or Government" I am not eligible.....What am I supposed to do for survival??????????, been in Medicine for 18 yrs, don't know anything other than patient care..........tried biotech,pharma,medical research, fellowships,Health insurance or Medical reviewer....No Luck so far(2 yrs).not even as Phlebotomist....Any kind of help or advice,suggestions are highly appreciated.....I am just a regular,decent,hardworking Physician like all ....Can't leave the country for 3 yrs,passport taken away...IS There any Hope at all.......My [email protected]

Any kind of help is highly appreciated..........

Is there any hope to Medical/clinical life ??????????

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

Well they pretty much have you hog tied don't they? And you don't have a private group practice to fall back on, too young to retire and with the HHS restrictions, no Passport for 3 years, few options. Have you tried education, contacting any professional organization for leads?

As you have discovered, there is a price for wistleblowing and too late to get legal advice before coming forward. You have also discovered that there is overkill and innocent victims as the abuse of the drug industry is fought. How many many pain suffers who because of a bleeding disorder may not be able to take an OTC for pain may be denied something stronger or people with lung disease who may be denied PPA because of misuse by a few anorexic teenagers? Lots of injustice, lots of overkill.

Here is a link to laws affecting whistleblowers, this link conrains other links.
http://www.whistleblowerlaws.com/protection.htm

My suggestion is to contact a wistleblowers advocacy group, they may be of some assistance, case evaluation or answer your questions. http://www.whistleblowers.org/html/whistleblower_legislation.html

The National Whistleblower Legal Defense and Education Fund operates an Attorney Referral Service (ARS) to provide legal referrals to whistleblowers in search of competent counsel. The ARS is composed of attorneys from across the nation who are interested in whistleblowing cases. If you need a referral or have a legal question about your situation please fill out an intake form. ... If you are unable to print these forms from your computer you may request the appropriate form by e-mailing us at [email protected] or by calling (202)-342-1903.

I know that this may chap your butt to hear this (being that you have seen attorneys on the job and all), but what have you considered in teaming-up with a personal injury attorney. Someone who can easily read throught the medical jargon - and possibly spot glaring errors, may come in handy for the means of income.

Just a thought.

dalwood

Med License/DEA?Life after felony

Thank you for the advice. Tried education/ AMA/AAPS............Abandoned by all colleagues,Friends,some family.........even for volunteer jobs, have been outcasted and treated like a Monster (may be more)...Getting penalized again and again, from Medical societies,state boards and medical forums and so on............Any suggestions,will be highly appreciated...just want to earn something for survival........

rmet4nzkx

Abandonment and shunning is typical response to a wistleblower, actually the real offenders get off much easier and retaining your license has more consequenses, insofar as restrictions and supervision, than revocation which would at least might not include seizure of your passport, all of this is too little too late.

So you may have to wait things out until your other rights are restored unless you have some legal recourse and one of those resources I gave might have ideas of your options.

So have they refused you provisional licensing to be a substitute teacher or teacher in a private school, surely there is some subject you can teach? What about tutoring or consulting? I've known other's in similar situations who went into totally different fields such as, commmunication fields, real estate, management, and even entertainment. You could write a book about your experience, I wish I could be of more help.

I know of a person, an intern who reported their supervisor to the medical board, in the five years it took to prosecute the case, the intern essentially saw their entire career go down the drain, shunned because they had done the right thing, there were no consequences such as your restrictions because they couldn't get placements to complete their hours for licensure and had to take their career to a different segment of the public sector. The supervisor, eventually lost his license and within a short time found a way to practice illegally on the internet.

I did not say to go to work with a large, well-known, highly respected law firm. I say, find a young, broke, hungry and ambitious attorney, and turn him into a large, well-known, highly respected law firm. How about them apples?

Good stuff that rmet4nzkx is putting out there to you too, isn't it?

Geeeesh, the things you can find on the web. :D

dalwood

Thank you

Any advice.....Regarding using my Medical knowledge/experience,training, to put to work,to earn for a survival......
Tried insurance companies,biotech,pharmaceuticals, some legal firms (medical advisor),medical research, weight loss/nutritional programs(medical advisor)
Volunteer jobs, many charities etc.....So far no luck, any help is highly appreciated.....or Should I just forget Medicine and try to be a cab driver(no offense intended)....

rmet4nzkx

Well you may just have to go non medical. While there could be difficulities is being a medical advisor to a legal firm, because they culdn't use you for testimony, if you got training as a paralegal, then your medical training might be very valuable in evaluating cases, then you would have a very valuable additional skill. Being a cab driver is dangerous, Bus drivers pay better but harder to get a job.

dalwood

Advice

I got back my medical license in South carolina, pending DEA number reinstated, being a convicted felon with 2 yrs of probation pending and with HHS imposed sanction for 3 yrs. ..Can I work as a locum tenes physician (contract) or If there any other optopns.............I would appreciate any kind of INPUT................Thank you.

rmet4nzkx

If you can get work as a locum tenes physician, I suppose the biggest problem will be your restrictions and if the compamy is willing to hire you with your convictions. Apply and be honest and up front. Maybe you can find work in a millu setting where somone else can take up the slack, or even as a PA? What about a doc n the box? Are there any appeals of the HHS restrictions? Can you go to PR, or USVI, without a passport? Can you get the passport restored? Obviously telemedicine os OUT!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">