• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding ticket from another state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ltt324

What is the name of your state? I am from NJ but received the speeding violation in Michigan

I just received a speeding ticket here in Michigan where I attend school but my place of residence is in NJ, which is where the car is register and the insurance is from, as well as having a NJ license.

My question is, do the points from this ticket transfer over to my NJ driving record and will my insurance go up because of this speeding ticket. The cop wrote on the ticket that I went over only by 5 m/p/h but that is still 2 points here in Michigan.

Thank you for any help that is provided.

S

seniorjudge

"My question is, do the points from this ticket transfer over to my NJ driving record and will my insurance go up because of this speeding ticket. The cop wrote on the ticket that I went over only by 5 m/p/h but that is still 2 points here in Michigan."

Your license in NJ will be affected as well as your insurance. Just exactly how, though, I do not know.

You would have to ask your home state licensing authority and your insurance carrier.

Happy Trails

ltt324 said:
What is the name of your state? I am from NJ but received the speeding violation in Michigan

I just received a speeding ticket here in Michigan where I attend school but my place of residence is in NJ, which is where the car is register and the insurance is from, as well as having a NJ license.

My question is, do the points from this ticket transfer over to my NJ driving record and will my insurance go up because of this speeding ticket. The cop wrote on the ticket that I went over only by 5 m/p/h but that is still 2 points here in Michigan.

Thank you for any help that is provided.
You lucked out.

Forty-eight states belong either to an agreement called the "Driver's License Compact" or the "Non-Resident Violator Compact." (The only states that don't belong to one or the other are Michigan and Wisconsin.) When you get a ticket in one of these states, the department of motor vehicles will relay the information to your state -- and the violation will affect your driving record as if the ticket had been given at home.

There are some exceptions see footnotes at this link (But they don't apply to you):
http://www.dui.com/dmvinformation/compact.html

lwpat

Georgia, Michigan, Wisconsin will report tickets to your home
state even though they are not members of the compact.

Happy Trails

lwpat said:
Georgia, Michigan, Wisconsin will report tickets to your home
state even though they are not members of the compact.
Thanks, lwpat, I stand (sit) corrected.

However,Georgia, Michigan, Wisconsin will report tickets to your home state even though they are not members of the compact.

And in addition (just a FYI):

How other States treat Out of State matters:
Colorado, Ohio, and Wisconsin do not assess points for out-of-state convictions. Colorado does not make an entry for out-of-state convictions such as speeding but convictions for offenses like DUI still count! Colorado will issue you a license if you qualify.

New York, same rules apply as for Colorado except New York DOES apply points for moving violations in Ontario and Quebec.

Michigan and Georgia will assess points for out-of-state tickets.
Kentucky does not assess points for out-of-state speeding tickets but will for others.
Vermont and North Carolina do not report tickets to your home state unless violation results in license suspension.

North Carolina will not assess points for out-of-state tickets unless the violation, if committed in North Carolina would result in a suspension.

Kansas, Wyoming, Minnesota, Arizona, Iowa, and South Dakota will not put speeding tickets on record unless it is 10 or more mph over the limit. If the violation was committed by an out-of-state motorist, the violation may still be reported to the home state which can result in points being assessed.

South Dakota will not assess points for speeding tickets. This may change since the repeal of the 55 mph National Speed Limit.

I'm not the original author, but I will post their disclaimer.
Disclaimer: The author is not responsible for any mistakes in this document but the document is here for your information. Please check with local authorities to get clarification.

http://www.nj-dmv-dwi.com/parts/compact.html

Last edited:

ltt324

so does that mean the points will still transfer from michigan to nj or does it mean that michigan will just report the ticket to nj

thanks for all the information so far

S

seniorjudge

ltt324 said:
so does that mean the points will still transfer from michigan to nj or does it mean that michigan will just report the ticket to nj

thanks for all the information so far
Ask the licensing authorities in the states involved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">