• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help in WI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stevecox

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
My mother and father have taken me to court for grandparent rights for my 3 children. They are all teenagers and have no desire to see them. We have lived in Wisconsin for a year and a half and and they took me to court in Ohio were we used to live. The court ordered visitation every 6 weeks. Do I have to make them go? And how could Ohio rule on this when we have not lived there for so long? My mother told me she will have the police there when they come to pick up the kids and they will go with her come Hell of High water!!!! :confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Stevecox said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
My mother and father have taken me to court for grandparent rights for my 3 children. They are all teenagers and have no desire to see them. We have lived in Wisconsin for a year and a half and and they took me to court in Ohio were we used to live. The court ordered visitation every 6 weeks. Do I have to make them go? And how could Ohio rule on this when we have not lived there for so long? My mother told me she will have the police there when they come to pick up the kids and they will go with her come Hell of High water!!!! :confused:

My response:

Obviously, you didn't fight this case; e.g., you ignored it. Apparently, you didn't bring up the jurisdictional problem - - unless the case was filed before you and the kids were legal residents of Wisconsin.

IAAL

rmet4nzkx

Give us the whole story, not just the readers digest version designed to elicit sympathy not legal advice, as IAAL said, you obviously didn't respond. Where were custody orders established, and when, where is the other parent? What's up that you don't want your own parents to visit with you own children?

LdiJ

While I agree with what the others said (obviously you didn't handle the case properly) I really think that you should tell us the whole story. Your mother shouldn't have been able to get an order in Ohio for visitation of your children when you and the children are legal residents of WI. It will be nearly impossible for your mother to enforce the order in WI either. The police won't/can't help her. Please tell us more. I really think that I can be of help to you.

Stevecox

No, we didn't make it to court due to getting a foot of snow dumped on us and yes I know I made a huge mistake by not going or being represented. This just happened on 1/5/05. I do not want my parents involved in our lives or my children's at all, that is why we moved in the first place. I was abused as a child and lived in a foster home from the age of around 16 to 18 and have been on my own ever since. My mother has done nothing but cause me problems all my life and is obsessed with trying to control me, I don't think this really has anything to do with my children. I told her the kid's didn't want to go and she called me a lier and said she didn't care that they were going. Their mother lives in Indiana and has very little contact with them. I am prepared to fight this but just don't know the best way to start. I got custody of my children in 1998 from their mother in Ohio and our divorce was also in Ohio.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Stevecox said:
No, we didn't make it to court due to getting a foot of snow dumped on us and yes I know I made a huge mistake by not going or being represented. This just happened on 1/5/05. I do not want my parents involved in our lives or my children's at all, that is why we moved in the first place. I was abused as a child and lived in a foster home from the age of around 16 to 18 and have been on my own ever since. My mother has done nothing but cause me problems all my life and is obsessed with trying to control me, I don't think this really has anything to do with my children. I told her the kid's didn't want to go and she called me a lier and said she didn't care that they were going. Their mother lives in Indiana and has very little contact with them. I am prepared to fight this but just don't know the best way to start. I got custody of my children in 1998 from their mother in Ohio and our divorce was also in Ohio.

My response:

What a load of bullcrap. You had at least 30 days Notice of the hearing. You simply ignored the Petition and didn't care what happened to your children. You had a god-damned telephone, and you could have hired an Ohio attorney by telephone. We also have the U.S. Mail system.

Don't try to snow us. Speaking for myself, I've been "in the business" too long for someone like you to think you can "shuck and jive" me with some nitwit excuses, like "snow".

Now it's too late for you. Wisconsin will accept the judgment as it stands, and will enforce the judgment.

You screwed up, big time.

IAAL

Stevecox

Well, I sorrythat you feel that way, I already admitted that I made a mistake by not responding, not knowing enough about the law I thought with the children being as old as they are they would have a choice. And have you watched the weather lately???????????????????????????? I came here for some advice or input not to be ridiculed or made to feel even worse about the situation, thanks for nothing.

rmet4nzkx

I'm sure there is more to the story still.

Ohio holds jurisdiction because your divorce and custody were there and after you and your ex moved out of state, you failed to domesticate it in WI, something else you forgot to do. Had you done that, your mother would have been the one filing for visitation in WI and she would have had the problem traveling in the snow.

You have an attitude and because of that attitude I suspect that you were not in a foster home between 16-18 because of child abuse, more likely because you could not get along with your parents. Now you are grown up and still playing your games and your children are learning the same games from you.

We'll hear from you again when you can't control your children.

Yes your mother can have visitation, because of your failures, not hers.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Stevecox said:
Well, I sorrythat you feel that way, I already admitted that I made a mistake by not responding, not knowing enough about the law

MY RESPONSE: And, just when do you think you'll be old enough to stop making excuses for the way you lead your life? What's this bullcrap about "not knowing enough about the law"? You DIDN'T NEED to know the law! You failed to read the Petition, and you failed to realize that the Petition required an attorney to assist you. Simply, you ignored it. Why don't you just admit it? I'm not helping anyone, especially someone like you, who's got a bag full of excuses - - none of which are even remotely realistic. They're just last minute attempts at feeling sorry for yourself.

I thought with the children being as old as they are they would have a choice.

MY RESPONSE: Well, you "thought" wrong. And now, it's too late. You were too stupid to even get a consultation with a local attorney! I mean, how dumb was that?

And have you watched the weather lately???????????????????????????? I came here for some advice or input not to be ridiculed or made to feel even worse about the situation, thanks for nothing.

MY RESPONSE: I can't believe it! You're still using the "Snow" excuse!! Even after I asked you about your use of the telephone and the mail system to hire an attorney!! You're incredible! Incredibly stupid, that is. You STILL think you can "snow" me with your lame excuses. Do the people you know actually "buy into" your excuses?

Geez, if you're THIS stupid, I can only wonder how bad the children's mother must have been for you to have been awarded custody. She must have been something out of the Twilight Zone.

You need some ridicule in your life. You needed someone to tell you how stupid you've been. You need the justification. I can only imagine what you must be teaching your children:

"Got a problem? Made a mistake? Make an excuse! Blame it on someone else. But whatever you do, don't take responsibility!"

IAAL

LdiJ

Stevecox said:
Well, I sorrythat you feel that way, I already admitted that I made a mistake by not responding, not knowing enough about the law I thought with the children being as old as they are they would have a choice. And have you watched the weather lately???????????????????????????? I came here for some advice or input not to be ridiculed or made to feel even worse about the situation, thanks for nothing.
Email me at [email protected]

You are fine...and so are your kids. You "goofed" legally but its not a fatally serious goof....it may cost you some money but if your mother pursues it, it will cost her more. Please do contact me. Despite what anyone may tell you on this board gpv orders are virtually unenforceable over state lines. They are completely different than parent vs parent orders.

In a parent vs parent situation a judge has the "custody" card. If someone doesn't obey his/her orders the judge has the option to reverse custody. In a parent vs a third party situation the judge DOES NOT have that option....not without finding the parent legally unfit....and that is VERY difficult to do.

There is more but I won't talk about it here. Seriously...you don't have to give in to her threats....as long as both you and the kids stay out of OH.

However, I will tell you that if you had done things properly this OH court order wouldn't exist. Even if you lived in OH a judge won't grant gpv against the objections of teenagers.

rmet4nzkx

LdiJ said:
Email me at [email protected]

You are fine...and so are your kids. You "goofed" legally but its not a fatally serious goof....it may cost you some money but if your mother pursues it, it will cost her more. Please do contact me. Despite what anyone may tell you on this board gpv orders are virtually unenforceable over state lines. They are completely different than parent vs parent orders.

In a parent vs parent situation a judge has the "custody" card. If someone doesn't obey his/her orders the judge has the option to reverse custody. In a parent vs a third party situation the judge DOES NOT have that option....not without finding the parent legally unfit....and that is VERY difficult to do.

There is more but I won't talk about it here. Seriously...you don't have to give in to her threats....as long as both you and the kids stay out of OH.

However, I will tell you that if you had done things properly this OH court order wouldn't exist. Even if you lived in OH a judge won't grant gpv against the objections of teenagers.
What are you talking about, OHIO has jurisdiction, that is where grandmother got visitation, an OHIO judge granted the visitation order. Stevieboy here didn't domesticate to WI and he failed to impress the OHIO judge that he gave a darn by failing to respond to the summons. His teenage children didn't have an opportunity to testify before the judge because Stevieboy didn't care enough to respond to the summons. When his mother shows up with her valid visitation orders from OHIO from the same court that provided his custody orders, they will enforce the visitation or he will be held in contempt in OHIO and could lose custody of his children because we don't know much other than Stevieboy here has no respect for anyone.

azgrandpa

Wow! No wonder lawyers make so much money; they are psychic too!

They know that you are a complete liar just by reading your questions and responses! Amazing! I wonder if they were that psychic when they chose all the juries in their amazing law careers?

The truth is that teenagers do have a choice and if grandparents want to find that out; just try to take them where they don't want to go! (Law be damned!)

Odds are more than a million to 1 that the cops will have nothing to do with that situation, so stand firm!

Tell grandma that they are taking a trip for nothing if they come up to get the kids.

rmet4nzkx

azgrandpa said:
Wow! No wonder lawyers make so much money; they are psychic too!

They know that you are a complete liar just by reading your questions and responses! Amazing! I wonder if they were that psychic when they chose all the juries in their amazing law careers?

The truth is that teenagers do have a choice and if grandparents want to find that out; just try to take them where they don't want to go! (Law be damned!)

Odds are more than a million to 1 that the cops will have nothing to do with that situation, so stand firm!

Tell grandma that they are taking a trip for nothing if they come up to get the kids.
Are you drunk? Or are you just totally ignorant of the law, or both?
No one is psychic, we are responding to the facts of the case, applicible law, however, you may, if any thing be PSYCHIOTIC :eek:

The grandmother got a lawful order from the court with jurisdiciton, it is enforcable. The children had no say in court because the father failed to respond to the sumons and has a long history of defiant behavior. We don't know what his children want or don't want, he admits he moved his children away from his mother to prevent visitation.

Now, put the bottle down, and go sleep it off.

azgrandpa

posted by rmet4nzkx
".....The children had no say in court because the father failed to respond to the sumons and has a long history of defiant behavior
Now how do you know the poster has a long history of defiant behavior? Is he a client? Or are you psychic?

Of course the kids didn't have a say in the visitation hearing, but the law is one thing and making teenagers do something against their will is quite an another!

Can't you fathom the concept that some things happen whether the law agrees or not? Come out of the legal books and take a look at life for a change!

rmet4nzkx

azgrandpa said:
posted by rmet4nzkx
Now how do you know the poster has a long history of defiant behavior?He told us so.

Of course the kids didn't have a say in the visitation hearing, but the law is one thing and making teenagers do something against their will is quite an another! NO, He refused to attend the hearing, he was in contempt.
Can't you fathom the concept that some things happen whether the law agrees or not? That happens all the time.
He edited his post where he said he moved to WI to get away from his mother, this is what remains:
[/QUOTE] I was abused as a child and lived in a foster home from the age of around 16 to 18 and have been on my own ever since. My mother has done nothing but cause me problems all my life and is obsessed with trying to control me, I don't think this really has anything to do with my children. I told her the kid's didn't want to go and she called me a lier and said she didn't care that they were going. Their mother lives in Indiana and has very little contact with them. I am prepared to fight this but just don't know the best way to start. I got custody of my children in 1998 from their mother in Ohio and our divorce was also in Ohio.[/QUOTE]
Now using your own logic, was he in a foster home at age 16-18 yo if he was abused or because he was incorrigible?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">