• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AWOL/borderline pers. disorder/adha

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lvn4ever

What is the name of your state?FL
A young man we mentored for 3 years is now DFR from Army, deserter status , 70 days. Long history of ADHD/appropriate meds but signed statement at MEPS that he did NOT have ADHD. Did fine in basic/AIT. Recycled several times in Airborne for missing formations, charged and convicted of misdemeanor poss/weed. Wrecked car over 50 miles from base. Went AWOl. Paperwork didn't catch up with DFAS for 60 days, so he received pay and we believe spent it. Another possibility is that co-owner of the auto dep. bank acct (who KNOWS he was AWOL and not entitled to pay) drew it out for their uses. Started reading about diff. mental health issues and had a total frisson when I read about ANTISOCIAL and borderline person. disorders. These describe his life perfectly. Have done LOTS of research on UCMJ etc. but don't understand lots of it. I interpreted his signing the MEPS statement of no knowledge of ADHD as fraud, so don't think thats a good idea to persue as reason for his failure in military, as someone has suggested this to him. Persueing other mental health rationales doesnt look like a cake walk either. This might make him marked for life. I know there is a push to rehabilitate soldiers. Should he wave the flag and try to be put back in boots?
Short of this, should he just keep his mouth shut on possible mental health issues and take punishment as a deserter? What about the undeserved pay he spent? Is the co-owner of the account in any way implicated in this if they took the money with full knowledge that he was not entitled?
**He calls us occasionally from never never land and says He was told that he was going to be chaptered out of the army due to misdeanor drug charge, recycles and car accident. I talked to his comm. and 1rst sgt and they laugh at this....please advise on best course of actions

rmet4nzkx

He is going to have to face the music, if mental illness id debilitating enough to preclude his obligation then he will get the appropriate discharge, however if he is wylie enough to be AWOL for this amount of time, he has some survival skills and may be crazy like a fox! There are other possibilities for his failure in the military, but again, his resistance to help will work against him. Try to convienence him to turn himself into a VA hospital, they may be able to evaluate the mental health issues. Of course he may be avoiding deployment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">