• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting information re: an arrest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karden

What is the name of your state? AR

I am in CA, but ex-SIL in AR facing mult. drug charges (meth: use, intent, para. for manu.) Arrest was 12/7, bail set at $25,000.
She had a court hearing yesterday (1/7). I called the jail today. Jailer told me the bail was set at $10000, that she was still there, and that's the only info. he gave me. When I asked if it was a sentencing hearing, he said he didn't know because "I wasn't here yesterday".

Is information regarding her status considered public record? How much info. can the jail give someone who calls? How does one find out status information?

If bail has been lowered, does that give any indication to the final sentencing?
When might sentencing take place? Sorry...I've tried researching on the net and don't come up with a lot.....

Thanks for any information regarding procedures/timelines you can give me.

You had better understand right off the bat, that jailers are rude to people. It is a job condition. Do not expect thorough answers about anything, including the prisoners in their own system. And jailers could care even less about what went on in court. If the paper says that they stay, they stay; if the paper says they get to go free, they go free. Then it off to the next prisoner on the list.

Next, you mention "bail" and "sentencing" like the two of these are related somehow. They are not. Bail is a means to secure the appearance at criminal proceedings of the accused. Sentencing is what happens once someone is convicted of an offense or offenses. Sentencing comes at the end of the criminal trial and/or at the end of the defendant's plea of guilty or no contest. The difference in the money amount can sometimes be a clerical error, sometimes the judge rethinks what the amount should be. Be grateful for the lower dollar amount, regardless.

The ex-SIL's record is public and copies of it can be obtained from the clerk of the court in the county where she is being prosecuted.

karden

Jailers, bail & public record

Florid-aise said:
You had better understand right off the bat, that jailers are rude to people. It is a job condition. Do not expect thorough answers about anything, including the prisoners in their own system. And jailers could care even less about what went on in court. If the paper says that they stay, they stay; if the paper says they get to go free, they go free. Then it off to the next prisoner on the list.

Next, you mention "bail" and "sentencing" like the two of these are related somehow. They are not. Bail is a means to secure the appearance at criminal proceedings of the accused. Sentencing is what happens once someone is convicted of an offense or offenses. Sentencing comes at the end of the criminal trial and/or at the end of the defendant's plea of guilty or no contest. The difference in the money amount can sometimes be a clerical error, sometimes the judge rethinks what the amount should be. Be grateful for the lower dollar amount, regardless.

The ex-SIL's record is public and copies of it can be obtained from the clerk of the court in the county where she is being prosecuted.
Thanks for the info. The jailers have been "nice" enough, but not offering any info. that I don't specifically ask about and wasn't sure how far with questions I could go, or exactly the 'right' questions!

I understand that in most cases one should be grateful for bail to be lowered, but in this case (for me), I wish it were HIGHER!! :)

So, anyone can request minutes from a court appearance? I can't just go there (I'm in CA), but maybe they will send them to me for a fee??

karden said:
Thanks for the info. The jailers have been "nice" enough, but not offering any info. that I don't specifically ask about and wasn't sure how far with questions I could go, or exactly the 'right' questions!

I understand that in most cases one should be grateful for bail to be lowered, but in this case (for me), I wish it were HIGHER!! :)

So, anyone can request minutes from a court appearance? I can't just go there (I'm in CA), but maybe they will send them to me for a fee??
The 'minutes' are called a "transcript" of the proceeding, and yes, for a fee, the transcript can be provided to you. Do you have the kind of money a transcript can cost? And you can expect a delay of over two weeks depending on who YOU pay to transcribe the proceeding.

Some places, and I do not know about AR, will provide a copy of the audio tape recording for a fee, which is much less money. (if you find this to be true of AR, let us know).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">