• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ohio revised code 4511.66

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mr.tima

What is the name of your state?Ohio

I hope this doesn't end up too long but here goes. My wife (driver) and I had just pulled to the side of the road,( a rural residential area,) to check for something in the backseat. My wife had the 4-ways on the whole time. She was about to put the car back in drive when we were rear ended by another vehicle. Not only did the State trooper cite the other driver for not maintaining an ACD but my wife was cited for ORC 4511.66.
I have read that law 2 dozen times so here are my questions....The law says that "upon any highway outside a business or residence district, no person shall stop, park, or leave standing any vehicle,etc,etc. Does that not mean that if you are within or inside a business or residence district you may stop?
If that truly is the law then U.S.Mail carriers in Ohio are guilty thousands of times each day, as well as garbage collection trucks, schoolbusses,etc. You get the idea. If I am wrong please explain th law so that someone with a little common sense can understand. Thanks

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

§ 4511.66. Prohibition against parking on highways.

(A) Upon any highway outside a business or residence district, no person shall stop, park, or leave standing any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, upon the paved or main traveled part of the highway if it is practicable to stop, park, or so leave such vehicle off the paved or main traveled part of said highway. In every event a clear and unobstructed portion of the highway opposite such standing vehicle shall be left for the free passage of other vehicles, and a clear view of such stopped vehicle shall be available from a distance of two hundred feet in each direction upon such highway.
http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com/oh/lpExt.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=PORC

Here is the whole law.

And here is what you got the ticket for:
"My wife (driver) and I had just pulled to the side of the road,( a rural residential area,) to check for something in the backseat."

Your wife was upon the paved or main traveled part of the highway.

The other things you mentioned are set forth as exceptions in the code.

mr.tima

Please clarify

Are you, or are you not allowed to stop on a highway inside a residence district? What we did is no different than Mail carriers, paper deliverers, garbage collection trucks, etc.
We were clearly visible from 200 feet in both directions and there was a clear and unobstructed portion of the hoghway opposite our vehicle.
I guess I just don't understand why the law means by "outside a business or residence district".
Thanks in advance

S

seniorjudge

"...I guess I just don't understand why the law means by "outside a business or residence district"...."

It means a rural residential area; just exactly as you said in your first post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">