• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drug Arrest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TerriJ

State is Ohio

Son was pulled over for a minor traffice violation. Officer said he smelled Marijuana and made him get out of the car. He then searched the car and found a small amount of marijuana and 40 capsules of vicodain. He was arrested for a felon of drug possession and possesion of marijuana. He volunteered to take a drug test on the spot but was not given one. He was arrested and taken to jail. No drug test was ever administered. Is this legal?
He did not have a prescription for the Vicodin.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TerriJ said:
State is Ohio

Son was pulled over for a minor traffice violation. Officer said he smelled Marijuana and made him get out of the car. He then searched the car and found a small amount of marijuana and 40 capsules of vicodain. He was arrested for a felon of drug possession and possesion of marijuana. He volunteered to take a drug test on the spot but was not given one. He was arrested and taken to jail. No drug test was ever administered. Is this legal?

My response:

Are you on drugs yourself? You're asking if it's illegal to take your druggie kid to jail when he has Vicodin in his possession without a prescription? You can't possibly be serious.

IAAL

CdwJava

TerriJ said:
State is Ohio

They don't have to give him a drug test. And since he was apparently not charged for being under the influence - only for possession - showing that he had consumed any drugs was not necessarily relevant.

Though a positive test for the Vicodin would have been nice evidence to show that he had indeed been using it. So, consider it a mixed blessing. If the defense can argue a reasonable explanation why he had the medication in his possession, then he might be able to get a good deal.

- Carl

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

CdwJava said:
then he might be able to get a good deal.

- Carl

My response:

Yeah, a "good deal" of TIME!

These stupid-ass parents of druggies that come here thinking their little angels can do no wrong, or shouldn't be arrested. I'm betting this parent is a stupid druggie too.

IAAL

TerriJ

To those of you who think the parent is crazy - My son has always been an outstanding student. He has NEVER been in trouble with the law before. He received a scholarship for Gifted Students to Ohio State. He works EVERY DAY and is a responsible person. I just found this out tonight because he had the decency to not tell me about it over Christmas. He admitted he got started on the Vicodin because his tooth had been hurting ever since he had it filled. in September. He lost Dental Insurance when he left Ohio State and began working full time. At 21 he manages a foot care store. He did not go back to the Dentist because he could not afford a root canal. So... for those of you know it all's, every kid that somehow gets involved in drugs, deserves the right to explain. At least he was honest. HE DOES NOT DRINK AND DRIVE AND KILL PEOPLE! HE DOES NOT SHOOT UP HEROIN. I am looking for help here,not a smart ass with an attitude.

TerriJ

Ps - I Am Not A Drug User And I Dislike Your Comment. Maybe You Should Become A Fortune Teller Since You Know So Much About People. Not Everyone Who Visits This Site Is A Loser! Believe It Or Not, Some Of These People Really Want To Help Others! Maybe You Should Try A Different Forum Since You Seem Very Frustrated Here.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TerriJ said:
To those of you who think the parent is crazy - My son has always been an outstanding student. He has NEVER been in trouble with the law before. He received a scholarship for Gifted Students to Ohio State. He works EVERY DAY and is a responsible person. I just found this out tonight because he had the decency to not tell me about it over Christmas. He admitted he got started on the Vicodin because his tooth had been hurting ever since he had it filled. in September. He lost Dental Insurance when he left Ohio State and began working full time. At 21 he manages a foot care store. He did not go back to the Dentist because he could not afford a root canal. So... for those of you know it all's, every kid that somehow gets involved in drugs, deserves the right to explain. At least he was honest. HE DOES NOT DRINK AND DRIVE AND KILL PEOPLE! HE DOES NOT SHOOT UP HEROIN. I am looking for help here,not a smart ass with an attitude.

My response:

Ah, yes. It's the "my little angel is an honor student" routine. Look, whether you want to believe it or not, your kid violated the law, and now he's going to jail. He's a druggie now, and there's no getting around it. Here come the attorney's fees and costs!

IAAL

CdwJava

TerriJ said:
The best advice anyone can give him is to get an attorney who can make the best of his situation.

From what you state, the stop was good, the cause for further detention and search sounds good, and thus the discovery of the illegal stash of Vicodin is good.

Sorry, but he needs an attorney.

- Carl

rmet4nzkx

Well he is in trouble with the law now and not just for 1 thing but for several.
He waited to tell you now, because he needs something from you, now what could that be?
He could have gone back to the dentist if he needed more pain control, he didn't go back because he's addicted to drugs or dealing drugs, thinking he is so smart that he can get away with it.
You're going to help him with his attorney for court, right? You would have helped with the dentist, right? Had he told you he was in pain from the filling?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TerriJ said:
Ps - I Am Not A Drug User And I Dislike Your Comment.

MY RESPONSE: You're not? And you don't like my comments? Perhaps you'd like a warm blanket and a Teddy Bear?

Maybe You Should Become A Fortune Teller Since You Know So Much About People.

MY RESPONSE: Well, I know this - - you're kid is a druggie loser.

Not Everyone Who Visits This Site Is A Loser!

MY RESPONSE: You're losing your son to the penal system. Doesn't that make YOU a "loser"?

Believe It Or Not, Some Of These People Really Want To Help Others!

MY RESPONSE: Stay on the correct side of the law, and you won't have to come to forums like this.

Maybe You Should Try A Different Forum Since You Seem Very Frustrated Here.

MY RESPONSE: You're right. I am frustrated. I'm frustrated to be required to see my hard-earned tax dollars go to making new courts and judges, and staff, so that idiots like your son can be prosecuted to go to the jails my tax dollars are used to construct. That's my "frustration".

I'd like to see my tax dollars go to finding a cure for all the various types of childhood cancers, for example. Instead, I have to spend my money on YOUR worthless druggie kid.

IAAL

rmet4nzkx

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
TerriJ said:
MY RESPONSE: You're right. I am frustrated. I'm frustrated to be required to see my hard-earned tax dollars go to making new courts and judges, and staff, so that idiots like your son can be prosecuted to go to the jails my tax dollars are used to construct. That's my "frustration".

I'd like to see my tax dollars go to finding a cure for all the various types of childhood cancers, for example. Instead, I have to spend my money on YOUR worthless druggie kid.

IAAL
IAAL, at least they are in OHIO and as we know, it is very cold and snowy there :D

TerriJ

Drug Arrests

Carl - Thank you for being so professional in your resonses. It is nice to see there are some people who join this to offer good solid advice.

I don't think my son purchased the vicodin from anyone. I think he took it from me. I had shoulder surgery March 1 of 2004 and was sent home with loads of pain medication and anti-inflammatories. Vicodin was the pain medication. I had it refilled two times I think. I am checking at the pharmacy today for a print out of my prescriptions. I dislike taking that stuff but sometimes you have to. At any rate, I took some off and on during my period of rehabilitation which was quite long. I had to have a piece of bone removed from my clavicle also and it was a very painful recovery period. Three months of physical therapy three days a week.

At any rate, I would not have missed any of it, because I had no reason to track anything. Every time I took it I got loopy but it did help the pain. I would never had suspected anyone would be taking any of it. My son lives with me, but works five days a week and when he is off he usually trades stocks on the computer. He is on the computer constantly.

So - I feel really bad about this.He did tell me his tooth was still hurting him and I told him to call the Dentist and make an appointment. He had already been back to him several times to have adjustments done. Obviously it didn't help. This is a good kid (despite what others say), and yes I do want to help him. When something like this goes on your record it is devasting. I am calling his Dentist Monday and explaining the situation. He has been our family Dentist for 20 years and I'm sure he will be very upset at what has happend. I don't have the money either to pay for it all right now, but I know when the Dentitis hears this, he will offer and much more inexpensive charge to do the root canal because he is of outstanding character and really does care about people. He has been my son's Dentist since he was three. I will pay the difference. I am not going to lose my son over this. It was a bad mistake and 21 year old kids make them. I also have copies of all my shoulder surgery dates and insurance statements that I can show. If you have other advice please help. This is a chance to save a good kid.

TerriJ

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Ah, yes. It's the "my little angel is an honor student" routine. Look, whether you want to believe it or not, your kid violated the law, and now he's going to jail. He's a druggie now, and there's no getting around it. Here come the attorney's fees and costs!

IAAL
You really are a sad depressed person aren't you? Lost faith in the entire human race and system. You should pray more often and you really do need some counseling. You are burnt out!

TerriJ

Drug arrest

rmet4nzkx said:
Well he is in trouble with the law now and not just for 1 thing but for several.
He waited to tell you now, because he needs something from you, now what could that be?
He could have gone back to the dentist if he needed more pain control, he didn't go back because he's addicted to drugs or dealing drugs, thinking he is so smart that he can get away with it.
You're going to help him with his attorney for court, right? You would have helped with the dentist, right? Had he told you he was in pain from the filling?
Please see my recent posting. He did go back to the Dentist several times. No I did not help him with the Dentist. I did have coverage for him while he was a full time student. After reading everything I have posted,if this were your son, what would you do?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You said, "I had it refilled two times I think. I am checking at the pharmacy today for a print out of my prescriptions". That means you had three bottles of pills. How many pills, total?

I could understand not noticing 1, 2 or 3 missing, but you must have had the quart bottle size in order to have 40 pills stolen, and not notice any were missing. In other words, you must have had a couple hundred pills prescribed to you. Doesn't that sound odd, that a doctor would prescribe THAT many pills of a heavy-duty narcotic?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">