• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving car from DC to CA with expiring registration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

betsyg

California
My husband is driving my brothers car from DC to California where they have just relocated to. The DC registration expires on Jan 12. You can't register the vehicle in California until it is in state and gone through smog test and inspection. They won't pick up the car until Jan 12th. Does my brother need to register the car in DC in order for my husband to drive it west?

Thanks!
Betsy

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

betsyg said:
California
My husband is driving my brothers car from DC to California where they have just relocated to. The DC registration expires on Jan 12. You can't register the vehicle in California until it is in state and gone through smog test and inspection. They won't pick up the car until Jan 12th. Does my brother need to register the car in DC in order for my husband to drive it west?

Thanks!
Betsy

My response:

Just think . . . Your brother could be the first person on his block to be able to say, "Hey, I got a ticket for expired tags in every State I crossed into and through!"

IAAL

CdwJava

betsyg said:
California

Thanks!
Betsy
If he wants to avoid a mass of citations across country, it might be a good idea.

Its also possible they can issue a temporary trip permit or registration ... it might be cheaper than the full registration.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">