• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling on Ebay, and selling webspace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nealbo

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your country? UK

I have a couple of queries, the first one concerning selling on ebay.
I'll give a bit of background info first. Mobile phones play a type of video file called .mp4/.3gp and seeing as it's really hard to find video clips like that on the internet, I'm proposing to do the following:
Dowload some funny free videoclips in mpeg format, and convert them into .mp4, and list a bundle of them on ebay.
The thing I want to know is, is it ok for me to sell them seing as they were free to download? And I can't ask the authors of the videos for permission, as they would be impossible to track down.

If that was illegal to do, would it be possible to sell the items in the following way:
They would not be purchasing the videos - they'd get them for free like I did, but they would be paying for a service, which would be me converting the videos for them?

Anyways, my second question is about web hosting. I am paying for a webhost currently, and I wondering if I could 'lease out' the space I have purchased from them? I'm guessing I can seeing as I pay for it, and I expect own it. Can I? :confused:

nealbo

Hmm...I didn't see any mention that you have to reside in the US to use the forum - perhaps that should be made clearer in the registration?

Anyways, thanks for letting me know. Assuming, however I did live in the US what would the answers to my questions be? I don't think the law would be that different on this subject. (But, if it is, could you point me in the direction of a similar UK forum?)

S

somedude

Free or not, it is not YOUR property. You are attempting to make a profit off of content that is not yours. That is illegal. Research copywrite issues and the such in your country.

Put yourself in the other person's shoes: how would you feel if you created something and other people were banking off of it and you weren't getting anything? You'd be pissed.

I highly recommend you do not do this. If the artist of the work finds you, you'll be in a heap of trouble

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">