• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA traffic code enforcement on private property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tonyhca

What is the name of your state? CA, Contra Costa County

Received a citation for violating a traffic control device located in a new development area. This area is unincorporated and is currently private property owned by the developer. The city of San Ramon is attempting to annex this area, but has not. San Ramon Police department has been writing tickets for vehichle code violations.

My question is whether the San Ramon police department can enforce the traffic code in this area and what authorizes this to occur, since it is private property and not within the city limits, and from what I can tell not considered "off-street" parking? A sign was recently posted at both entrances to the development indicating the area is private property and the traffic code is being enforced. How does this work? City ordinance? But the area is unincorporated. Maybe the county Sherriff has contracted with the city of San Ramon to provide this service? What are the chances of this citation being dismissed?

tonyhca

What is the name of your state? CA, Contra Costa County

Didn't get any response the first time, but though I should try again:

I received a citation for violating a traffic control device located in a new development area. This area is unincorporated and is currently private property owned by the developer. The city of San Ramon is attempting to annex this area, but has not. San Ramon Police department has been writing tickets for vehichle code violations.

My question is can the San Ramon police department enforce the traffic code in this area and what authorizes this to occur, since it is private property and not within the city limits, and from what I can tell not considered "off-street" parking? A sign was recently posted at both entrances to the development indicating the area is private property and the traffic code is being enforced. How does this work? City ordinance? But the area is unincorporated. What are the chances of this citation being dismissed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">