• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AWOL: Turning self in. Need advice please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?Ok I have been AWOL from the US Army since the beginning of summer in 2004. I completed basic,ait,and airborne. After airborne I was in Special Forces training which i dropped because I was not physically or mentally prepaired for the course. I was then placed into a student company to wait for orders to be assigned to a standard infantry unit. I stayed here for several weeks and recieved no information about orders or what they were going to do with me. During this time I was extremely depressed and realized that I had made a horrible mistake. I simply packed my stuff, cleaned the room I was assigned, and left. I never heard back from the Army.

I want to take care of this and move on with my life. The Army was not the place for me and if I would have continued to stay there Im really not sure if I would be alive today. I contacted the GI rights hotline and got a lot of information but I still have a few questions. I know I should turn myself into FT Sill and I asume they are either going to discharge me or charge me. Does anyone have any input on what is more than likely going to happen. I was young and dumn when I signed those papers and I don't really think it would be ethical to throw me in the brig for 5 years. I was just trying to find some direction in my life and chose the wrong one. Any input would be great. Thanks for your time.

rmet4nzkx

Well, you joined an elite unit of the US Army, before being accepted into that program, you were given tests and scored well. You made it through the initial training phase and then washed out, did you want out at that point or did you become despondent waiting to be assigned to the infantry, expecting to go to Iraq, is that why you think you woud be dead or because you are suicidal? How long is your comitment, 5 yrs, did you get a preenlistment bonus? Would you be willing to be returned to your unit?

I was feeling sort of suicidal. I had done so much so well and I couldnt really handle the fact that I wasn't able to accomplish that training. The commitment was 5 years and I started training at the end of Oct 2003. I never recieved any bonus money or anything extra just standard pay on the 1st and 15th like everyone else. I do not wish to return to any branch of the US Military.

rmet4nzkx

Why don't you want to be an any other branch of the military? How exactly did you fail to pass? You do realize that the best was to get separated from the Army is while you are still in, not AWOL, you could spend some time in Kansas? I'm just looking for some reason you might have besides you changed your mind. Also anything less than honorable discharge can haunt you the rest of your life.

Because I don't agree with how they operate and treat the very people that are employed by them. I wanted to be in Special Forces to train people in 3rd world countries how to fight and survive. I voluntarily dropped the course because I was not in the right condition/state of mind to complete it. As far as what type of discharge I could really care less. I dont plan on being a grade school teacher or judge. I knew the Army wasnt really the right place from me from the very beginning. I just sucked it up and drove on, doing everything as fast and best as i could. After awhile I just could not mentally handle it anymore. I had to do something. I did not want to be sent into an infantry unit with other people's lives in my hand when I didnt even believe in myself. So I left. And realizing what course of action I SHOULD have taken is useless now.

rmet4nzkx

Well since you were waiting for orders, maybe didn't notice you missing? Do you have direct deposit? Are you still getting paid?

I have direct deposit and I stoped recieving pay 2 periods after i left. So basically I was payed for a month and it stopped. Which leads me to believe someone somewhere had to know I was gone.

rmet4nzkx

Apparently they have noticed you missing, so it's not like you can show up and say, when are you going to assign me? Are you working or anything now? The only thing I can think of is for you to turn yourself into Ft. Sill or a VA hospital and try for a psychological/medical discharge. Last week there was someone who called in, but they were given a number to call.

steph322

My husband is in the Army also. As soon as he left for basic I thought we had made a huge mistake. Now almost three years later I feel like we made the right decision. You said that people aren't treated the way they should be in the Army. Considering you just made it out of AIT I can see how you would think that. If you were in a real unit you would see things are different. As with any job you have there are going to be things you don't like. If you even consider going back, please consider what I have said. If not, I would suggest turning yourself in sooner rather than later. If they find you before you turn yourself in you will receive harsher consequences than you would had you just turned yourself in to begin with. Good luck!

No I am not working right now cause I want to get this resolved. I am planning on flying to Oklahoma in a week and turning myself in. I just wish I knew some more info. Are they going to try and throw me back into the Army even though I've been gone for nearly a year? Are they going to throw me in prison for 5 years because of this??? Come on thats a bit rediculous. I mean what would the US Army gain from throwing me in jail. I've commited no crimes and had a flawless army record up to the point when I left. So someone called FT. Sill and told them they were AWOL?

rmet4nzkx

We can't say what they will do, however it is better to turn yourself in as opposed to getting caught. You might want to check out this site, run by soldiers and not monitored by gov smartsoldier.com They may be able to give you some insight. Update up if you can so we know what happened.

lvn4ever

AWOL turning self in

Am in the middle of this with a family friend. The SOP is that your next of kin should have received a letter notifiying them of your absence after 10 days, but even without this, the onus is on you. The fact that DFAS stopped your pay is notification enough that you were not performing your job. You might also be interested to call Fed. Deserter Hotline 502 626 3722 to see if they have received a file on you as DFR (dropped from role) and if a federal warrant has been sworn out for your arrest. They told me this could take up to a year but in the case of MY misguidedyouth, it took only 30 days.
You sound like you want to do the right thing and after sifting through dozens of sites, documents, and journals dealing with AWOL/desertion and talking to dozens of officials, both civilian and military, it would seem that there is only ONE thing to do....TURN YOURSELF IN. The statistics seem to be overwhelmingly that you will be caught, if not sooner, then later. Your SSN is HOT if a warrant has been issued which would mean you could be arrested when your SSN is run through ANY govt system, to include: IRS (trying to get your tax refund or when an employer files for your withholding), drivers license renewal, some functions of banking/loans (fed mortgage programs/educational loans), maybe drivers license, maybe passport, or something as simple as being stopped for having a tail light out on your vehicle. Although the consequences may be formidable, they will only get worse. Imagine 5 years from now, being stopped for rolling through a stop sign and in the car with you is your new wife and a baby! I have been told the statute of limitations is at least 40 years. Thats a long long time to go without ever getting a job good enough that you would want a tax refund, or applying for a loan to buy a house etc. or takiing advantage of great fed. programs for college ed. loans.
You can go to ANY police station, a recruiting office, ANY military installation. Don't put off until you can get to Ft. Sill. Anyway, the govt will provide transportation there.
The consensus I have from all these dozens of sources also is to THINK HARD about being offered the opportunity of getting back into boots and finishing your commitment. I totally agree with the above post that what you saw about the military was pretty limited. How many employees ANYWHERE would say " I really like EVERYTHING about my employer and company" NOT! And the Army has a very clearly defined and unusual mission, that YOU agreed to be part of. Esp. since you enlisted for SF, you knew that you were not going to working in the base library or Base Gym, you knew you would be asked to crawl through the dirt and probably shoot at people. SInce SF doens't agree with you, and I will allow for the marketing and the reality to be miles apart, then ask for another MOS....like in the base library. Thats a lot more agreable than the alternatives....time in Kansas.

lvn4ever

AWOL turning self in.

WAnted to add that no one can crystal ball this situation. There seems to be a wide variety of what the consequences might be, from jail time to completion of enlistment contract to several types of discharge. That is why it is important to present yourself in the very best way, by going in NOW
Also remember that the one month of direct deposit pay given in error was not a "parting gift" like on a game show. DFAS will set up a SHORT re payment schedule. I hope you act on this quickly and try to get your good name back so you can start your life again, successfully.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">