• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mistaken address

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

countryboy_316

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?Pa.
My stepson was arrested for selling pot to a police informent. He feels he can get the charges dismissed because on the arrest warrant his home address was incorrect. is this true? :confused:

rmet4nzkx

countryboy_316 said:
My stepson was arrested for selling pot to a police informent. He feels he can get the charges dismissed because on the arrest warrant his home address was incorrect. is this true? :confused:
Apparently not wrong enough to prevent his arrest, he needs a criminal defense attorney.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

countryboy_316 said:
My response:

And when he's finally convicted, he'll tell you that his address for the next year or two really isn't the jail address.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

countryboy_316 said:
PA... what I was wondering is if this could be a technicality and could this mistake get him off of the charges? :confused:

My response:

Absolutely. He'll be free in no time to commit yet another crime against society.

IAAL

rmet4nzkx

No, the law allows for mistakes, as long as the real intent is clear, and if there is a mistake, correction is allowed, so a technicality won't get him off. Pretty stupid to sell to a snitch! Time for tough love, tell him if he can't do the time, don't do the crime.

CdwJava

countryboy_316 said:
PA... what I was wondering is if this could be a technicality and could this mistake get him off of the charges? :confused:
This is not the kind of technicality that would get him off. And even if the warrant WERE bad for some reason, he would still have to answer for the charges.

He needs a defense attorney to defend him from the charges - not the warrant.

- Carl

A warrant, although defective, still able to reasonably describe the premises, or that the subject property is or can be sufficiently identified, would not necessarily be rejected just because of a typo.

If it IS held to be defective sufficient to cast doubt on its validity, then evidence obtained as a result is "fruit of the poisonous tree" and can be suppressed

Want to know how to get the evidence suppressed?

Get a good criminal defense attorney.

countryboy_316

Thank you all for your advice. I was asking this question because he asked us if this could be true. I dont feel that this so called technicality should get him off of the charges. what he did was wrong and he will have to answer for that no matter if the address was wrong or right, he commited a crime. thank you again to those who offered advice and those those of you that were rude I forgive you,your ignorance

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">