• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ ticket uncontested, never got the fine. Statute of Limitations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Facekhan

What is the name of your state?Live in Maryland. It was a NJ ticket.

I got a speeding ticket on the turnpike over a year ago. It did not say what the fine to pay was so I just let it sit there figuring they would send me some fine after the time to contest the ticket passed.

I never got a thing. Technically the address on my license was outdated but I had informed the MVA in Maryland of my new address as I was supposed to, maryland just at the time did not issue new id's for change of address.

As best as I can figure one of two things happened. The ticket never got processed cause the cops handwriting was illegible or he lost it or decided to cut me a break or whatever. Or they sent those notices to a house I have not lived in for years and the fine probably doubled a few times and eventually some traffic judge probably wrote a warrant for me.

I am just a bit concerned the next time I drive through Jersey I am gonna get arrested. Whats the statute of limitations on a speeding ticket? I don't really have much interest in contacting them because we all know they are gonna try to get me to pay like 500 bucks for a 100 dollar ticket.

S

seniorjudge

"...It did not say what the fine to pay was so I just let it sit there figuring they would send me some fine after the time to contest the ticket passed...."
No, see the way this thing works is that YOU send THEM the fines.

"...Technically the address on my license was outdated...."
This explains a lot.

"...the fine probably doubled a few times and eventually some traffic judge probably wrote a warrant for me...."

I believe you are correct on this one.

You really don't need to be concerned about going to Jersey. When it comes time for you to renew your Maryland tags or license, you will be in for a rude and nasty surprise.

I doubt that you have a valid operator's license now.

Facekhan

I don't think NJ intended me to send them a blank check and the fine was not on the ticket.

I renewed my license about 6 months later with no problems. I guess NJ and MD do not share traffic ticket info.

And if my license was suspended, Maryland has my correct address and did not notify me. Unless you mean that I am not allowed to drive in NJ which is probably the case. I got a ticket in DC way back when and when I forgot to pay it on time I got some letter telling me my license was invalid in DC until I paid.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">