• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrong box checked on citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ZodiacMan

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Got a citation for passing a stopped school bus. On the citation the officer checked a box indicating I may plead guilty by mail and an address as to where to send payment. However, I asked the court clerk (without specifically referring to my case) if passing a school bus was an offense where you may plead guilty by mail or if you have to go to court. The court clerk said that the offense had a mandatory court appearence. So what should I do? It's obvious the officer either does not understand the law or was careless enough to check the wrong box, either way would (in my mind at least) cast doubt on whether or not he was able to effectively see the offense in question. Because the ticket was filled out improperly (and not with a simple clerical error, but he made a serious legal mistake on it) do I have a chance on getting this thrown out based on that? What should I do?

racer72

The error does not prevent you from presenting a valid defense to the court and will not be dismissed because of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">