• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what will happen in court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arulam

What is the name of your state? NJ

My wife had a minor collision with another lady in our apartment parking lot.
My wife backed the car at that time.Both came out and saw little scratches on the cars. The Other lady took my wife's name and number and she left the scene.After 5 minutes my wife left the place. She came after 10 days to my home asking for money since we refused to pay as scratch was minor. she filed a complaint and Municipal court summoned my wife left the scene and failure to report and failure to report an accident for me.

As per advice given inyour site I called my insurance company and they are taking care of other party claims since my wife was at fault.

I am worried about the summons my wife and I have.
how will the court handlethese? How to prove that my wife didn't leave the scene? What will happen to another summon Failure to report the accident?

Thanks in advance

racer72

I am worried about the summons my wife and I have.
Who is the summons for, you or your wife?

how will the court handlethese?
Hard to say.

How to prove that my wife didn't leave the scene?
She tells the court the truth. In this case testimony from the victim could help her cause. I would suggest talking to a local attorney soon.

arulam

Thanks for your reply

Who is the summons for, you or your wife?

Summons for both me and my wife
for me : Failure to report an accident
for my wife : Failure to report an accident & leave the scene of accident.

Quote:
how will the court handle these?
Hard to say.

We called our insurance company and asked to settle other partys claim.Will that help in court proceedings handling these summons?

Quote:
How to prove that my wife didn't leave the scene?

She tells the court the truth. In this case testimony from the victim could help her cause. I would suggest talking to a local attorney soon.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">