• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

76/55 Reckless in Virginia (664 East)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MouselikesBeans

What is the name of your state?
Virginia

Sunday I was driving to visit family and an officer pulls me over doing 76 in a 55 (664 East right after the tunnel). My court date is Jan 27th, 2 weeks away and I have to come back from school in Richmond (20 year old college student) for a 10am court date. My driving record is good, I have not had a moving violation in 2 years.

Here is what I am thinking about doing: Getting my speedometer calibrated by a Jeep dealer (I drive a wrangler) because I think I was doing about 72 (still too fast, I know). Second, should I try to take one of them 8 hour driving classes this saturday or next? And last, I cannot afford a lawyer, but if my speedometer is off , could a 21 over reckless driving for speeding ticket turn into a regular speeding offense?

If anyone can give me some advice or make me feel a little better about this stupid mistake which will never happen again I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Clint

S

seniorjudge

Ask the court if there is a diversion program you can go to. You will pay more but you won't have a moving violation and your car insurance rates may not go up.

There have been rumors on this forum that Virginia allows the defense of a bad speedometer.

I find that hard to believe. If you go into court asking for leniency because you have defective equipment, you are making a really stupid move.

Anway, good luck....

aliljet

seniorjudge said:
Ask the court if there is a diversion program you can go to. You will pay more but you won't have a moving violation and your car insurance rates may not go up.

There have been rumors on this forum that Virginia allows the defense of a bad speedometer.

I find that hard to believe. If you go into court asking for leniency because you have defective equipment, you are making a really stupid move.

Anway, good luck....
This is no rumor, this is fact. I'm not sure what the exact statute is, but if you have a defective speedometer, and you get it calibrated -- and have evidence that the speedometer was flawed, leniency is very much in the picture.

I spent hours in court today seeing that defense succesfully used over and over again, by lawyers and random people alike.

Facekhan

Just count yourself lucky you were not going much faster than that. Rumor has it Virginia cops like to arrest people for going 20 over the limit and let them rot for a weekend.

sean13

The calibration will lessen the punishment. Go to driver's ed if you are low on points to begin with, check with the dmv 8 bucks.

70 something in 55 won't require a lawyer. I saw a boatload of people like you get nailed in Fairfax for anywhere from $100 to $200 fine. It is goign to take a lawyer to get out of the RD and even then it will be hard.

As I said in another post, go to court in advance of the ticket and see how things go. Then you can gauge whether or not a lawyer is helpful.

Sean

S

seniorjudge

sean13 said:
...As I said in another post, go to court in advance of the ticket and see how things go. Then you can gauge whether or not a lawyer is helpful....
This is one of the best pieces of practical advice I have seen on this forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">