• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical bills gone to collections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tjc74

What is the name of your state? NJ

I was in a MVA in 1/2000 in which I was a passenger and sustained two broken feet. I had medical bills in which some were paid and some were not. I sent all medical bills to my attorney under the impression that he would submit to insurance company or be handled at his office. I know I am responsible for these bills but I was under the usumption bill would go on ??assignment?? until settlement. But after reveiwing my credit report and receiving notices from collection agencys some bills were never addressed. A civil judgment was also on my reports.

Question, Shouldn't the attorney representing you contact ALL your medical providers and any collection agencies for which the bills were turned over to. They also would have needed this information in order to get certified copies of the bills to help settle your case appropriately?

We have not even settled the case yet? When I asked my attorney what I should do about this judgment he instructed me to pay the debt. I don't think it is fair, my credit has been ruined! Do I have any legal rights here?

S

seniorjudge

You are required to pay your bills.

Just because you are in an ongoing lawsuit does not relieve you of responsibility to pay your bills.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">