• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bonus Entitlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheTodd

What is the name of your state? CA

I know this may be a long shot, but...

I currently work for a hotel in CA managed by a major corporation. Company policy states that to be entitled to a bonus, the employee must be employeed on the date paid.

Facts: I was employed with a company for the entire 2004 calendar year and will be resigning in a few days. I can prove that the bonus earned by the hotel is a direct result of my efforts and that the reason I am leaving is due to the fact that I have brought up issues that make the work environment uncomfortable (not harassment). I enjoy the company, but began searching for a job because of several conflicts with another co-worker, who happens to be best friends with my boss. Every issue that I bring up, my toss takes his friend's side, making my work life uncomfortable.

Is there a way to collect the bonus that I earned?

pattytx

In the document linked below, California states that is it legal to have a bonus plan that requires the employee to be employed on the date of the payout. However, this same document also states that bonuses are wages and must be paid under the same regulations as regular wages upon termination. I can see where these two statements could be considered contradictory. http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/wages.pdf

You might want to contact the DLSE (Dept. of Labor Standards Enforcement) and inquire of them directly. If the response is not in your favor, how far in the future is it? Is it worth sucking it up and waiting to resign until you receive the bonus?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">