• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help Fast

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sara.Dahlen

What is the name of your state? We are in ND. My boyfriend got pulled over in his car for the tail lights being out, the cop proceeded to ask what was in his back pack and there was a 6-pack of beer. The cop proceeded to take my boyfriend out of the car and search the rest of the car and found a bag. Then he hand cuffed my boyfriend and took him to jail. A friend that was in the car said that the beer was his since he was 21, but the cop didn't believe him. He now has to go to court on the 18th for a para charge and a possion of alcohol charge(we think). They took his tickets from him. Also, the cop didn't read him the miranda rights, what should he do???

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Sara.Dahlen said:
What is the name of your state? We are in ND. My boyfriend got pulled over in his car for the tail lights being out, the cop proceeded to ask what was in his back pack and there was a 6-pack of beer. The cop proceeded to take my boyfriend out of the car and search the rest of the car and found a bag. Then he hand cuffed my boyfriend and took him to jail. A friend that was in the car said that the beer was his since he was 21, but the cop didn't believe him. He now has to go to court on the 18th for a para charge and a possion of alcohol charge(we think). They took his tickets from him. Also, the cop didn't read him the miranda rights, what should he do???

My response:

It's a good thing the cop found all that stuff, now, in your boyfriend's car rather than you finding it later. At least you know now, before you marry him, that he has a serious drug and alcohol problem. Whew! I'll bet you're glad that you found out about his unlawful habits before you married him. So, for you, it's a good thing.

To answer your question, "What should he do" - - who cares? The better question is, "What should I do?" - - And the answer to that question is to find yourself someone responsible, upstanding, and who will be good to you, and not give you criminal headaches and massive legal expenses throughout your future.

You and I both know that you can do better than him. You deserve better.

IAAL

You can calm down a bit. You do not need help as fast as you may think. It doesn't matter what you think. In reality there is little that you can do in the short run.

The beer charge will be very hard to get a conviction on, so don't lose sleep tonite because of that. The possession charge, that is another story. The stop was legal if the tail light was not functioning.

A misconception about Miranda rights. No Miranda reading has to take place unless there is an interrogation or questioning taking place, or anticipated.

Get with an attorney, soon. Pay a handsome fee. It will be worth it for the time saved and time lost from work. Have that attorney make ready the pleadings to present to the court at the time of arraignment. Failure to do this is not the end of the world, it just means that speedy trial and other rights will kick in and then the charge being dismissed or reduced may have to run its entire course...months long.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">