• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scamming the Scammer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishfool59

What is the name of your state? Texas, she is in Hawaii

Ok here is my story, I am very ashamed of it and now I am going to get screwed.

About a year or so back I had a yahoo actions account and got hard up for money. I was surfing the net and ran across a site talking about online scams, I decided (quite stupidly) to try one of them. Here is how it worked; I posted an auction for a "Lowes 5000 gift card" in the description it just said that this was a gift card in the amount of 5000 to Lowes Home Improvement (never any dollar signs.) I get a lady that buys the card via paypal for $2000, I proceed to send her a 5000¢ ($50) gift card. Of course paypal overturns it and I end up $50 in the whole and they lock my account, lesson learned. Today I get a letter from the BBB telling me that I owe her $2000. I did some looking into and I can get the BBB off my back because I am not a company but I have no idea what to do if she tries to take me to court. My question is, if she does want to take it to small claims court won't she have to do it here in Texas and pay court fees?

ndnicks

It doesn't sound like he got the money. He said paypal overturned it and he ended up 50 dollars in the hole. How could he be 50 dollars in the hole if he got 2000?

BelizeBreeze

fishfool59 said:
Why is it Interstate Fraud if she just misunderstood the ad?
Federal Crime, across state lines, a known fraud by the FBI.
Run for your life. You have more to think about than this woman's $2,000.

How is it fraud though?
fraud ( P ) Pronunciation Key (frôd)
n.
A deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain.
A piece of trickery; a trick.

One that defrauds; a cheat.
One who assumes a false pose; an impostor

Make more sense?

ndnicks

I'm still a lil confused. Is he liable to pay the woman 2000 dollars if he never received it through paypal. It sounds like his account was locked and they should simply return it to the woman (although he shouldnt get any of his own money back lost in the process for being a shameful, dirty cheat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">