• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Felony Conviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jcorriher

What is the name of your state?North Carolina

My daughter was just convicted of a felony for possession of crack cocaine. What does this reduce her eligibility for? My wife is under the impression that she is no longer eligible for Medicaid nor her son(my grandson). Also is there anything else this affects?

S

seniorjudge

"...My daughter was just convicted of a felony for possession of crack cocaine. What does this reduce her eligibility for?..."

A decent life.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jcorriher said:

My daughter was just convicted of a felony for possession of crack cocaine. What does this reduce her eligibility for? My wife is under the impression that she is no longer eligible for Medicaid nor her son(my grandson). Also is there anything else this affects?

My response:

It affects and reduces her eligibility to:

1. . . . live a long life;

2. . . . look and be healthy, instead of gaunt and sickly, like she does now;

3. . . . have her child in her life;

4. . . . keep her money instead of paying an attorney or becoming a drain on society;

5. . . . make us care.

IAAL

jcorriher

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

It affects and reduces her eligibility to:

1. . . . live a long life;

2. . . . look and be healthy, instead of gaunt and sickly, like she does now;

3. . . . have her child in her life;

4. . . . keep her money instead of paying an attorney or becoming a drain on society;

5. . . . make us care.

IAAL

Thank you for your very informative post. No doubt if this forum had more expert legal advice such as your own, people wouldn't be in the situations they are in now.

1. . . .I said possession, not use. Her days are no less numbered than yours.

2. . . .Again, possession, not use. She's perfectly healthy. Not very wise, but healthy.

3. . . .I never said she had her child, we do. That doesn't mean she can't grow up and decide to become a mother one day. If she doesn't he can still benefit from being on medicaid.

4. . . .She is keeping her money. Her boyfriend is paying for the attorney. She's no more a drain on society than pretentious holier-than-thou @ssholes such as yourself.

5. . . .I never asked if you cared. What I asked for were legitimate answers, not childish nonsense.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jcorriher said:
Thank you for your very informative post. No doubt if this forum had more expert legal advice such as your own, people wouldn't be in the situations they are in now.

1. . . .I said possession, not use. Her days are no less numbered than yours.

2. . . .Again, possession, not use. She's perfectly healthy. Not very wise, but healthy.

3. . . .I never said she had her child, we do. That doesn't mean she can't grow up and decide to become a mother one day. If she doesn't he can still benefit from being on medicaid.

4. . . .She is keeping her money. Her boyfriend is paying for the attorney. She's no more a drain on society than pretentious holier-than-thou @ssholes such as yourself.

5. . . .I never asked if you cared. What I asked for were legitimate answers, not childish nonsense.

My response:

Nobody cares about a druggie or a pusher. What was she doing with the drug - - looking at it?

You're so full of sh!t, your eyes are brown.

IAAL

dwzgranny

Why?

:confused: Some of us are really just looking for some advice, why must you degrade those of us that are in pain over something that has happened? My mother taught me that if I didn't have anything nice to say to just keep quiet, why don't you try it.

Last edited:
S

seniorjudge

jcorriher said:

I am not aware of any law that says dope possession is a grounds for denying Medicaid.

However, this charge could very well affect the custody of her child; i.e., she could lose her child.

cmorris

My son and I are on Medicaid, welfare, and food stamps until I graduate from college this May. When I was interviewed, they asked if I had ever been convicted for drugs (e.g., possession, selling, etc). Every time I get a recertification, I am asked again. I do not know if they do background checks, but if they do and someone lied, they would be responsible for paying everything back.

Now, I have not ever been arrested for anything, much less convicted. However, if I had been convicted for a serious offense (any drug offense, domestic violence, etc), I would have been denied. My son's eligibility would have still been covered for medicaid. It is also possible they would have involved CPS to ensure I wasn't a danger to my child. But, if all was well, my son would still have been covered.

While the states may differ on the subject, I suspect at least several states have this. Contact the medicaid office to find out for sure.

**Edited to add: Also if I decided to live w/ someone that had been convicted of a serious offense, I would lose my coverage.

cmorris said:
My son and I are on Medicaid, welfare, and food stamps until I graduate from college this May. When I was interviewed, they asked if I had ever been convicted for drugs (e.g., possession, selling, etc). Every time I get a recertification, I am asked again. I do not know if they do background checks, but if they do and someone lied, they would be responsible for paying everything back.

Now, I have not ever been arrested for anything, much less convicted. However, if I had been convicted for a serious offense (any drug offense, domestic violence, etc), I would have been denied. My son's eligibility would have still been covered for medicaid. It is also possible they would have involved CPS to ensure I wasn't a danger to my child. But, if all was well, my son would still have been covered.

While the states may differ on the subject, I suspect at least several states have this. Contact the medicaid office to find out for sure.

**Edited to add: Also if I decided to live w/ someone that had been convicted of a serious offense, I would lose my coverage.
It's called the Welfare Reform Act - It's a FEDERAL act. All states are required to follow suit...

cmorris

No, I had not read the act. It was very informative. However, the child would still be covered, as they have NOT been convicted.

For example: A parent is convicted. The medical card will only list the child's name, DOB, and ID number. If welfare is needed, the money will be sent to someone else (not the convicted parent), like a grandparent, to provide for the child. The benefits are for the child anyway. I suspect the reasoning the convicted parent cannot get benefits or money for the child are b/c of the fear of the parent using the money for illegal purposes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">