• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

timepasses

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?HI
i was wondering about a few tickets that i have recieved.
i need to start over on my Licsense and i need to go and clear a few bench warrants out first. i had a few that were in 97 and i know someone that had tickets from years past and when he went in to court the judge just dropped the case because of the dates. so how long does it take before a judge throws out a traffic violation? i know you will still have a bench warrant and all, but i want to know how long is it in effect when you get the new court date? :confused:

S

seniorjudge

This is not a statute of limitations question since a charge has already been filed.

Bench warrants generally never expire.

timepasses

thank you for the info, but i wanted to know was how long before a violation is cleared. after i posted my message, i called the main traffic violation office and asked about any outstanding tickets i have to clear and what not, she only pulled up one from 2002, but the one i was worried about from 1997 was gone. so how exactly does that work? oh and is federal and state totally different when it comes to traffic violations? :confused:

S

seniorjudge

As far as I know, once a ticket is issued, it is alive forever.

If the folks you called have a different policy, then I guess if you can outrun the law long enough, then they get tired of messing with you and drop the charges.

But, I am sorry, I don't know how long that would be. Did you ask the folks you called? Wouldn't they tell you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">