• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Responsibility Waiver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abynon

What is the name of your state? DC

I am considering going on a foreign studies trip to Germany. I have some questions about the "Waiver of Liability" form.

The question is under the "Medical Responsibility" section. The questions is regarding the second paragraph, but I typed out the first two paragraphs to give an idea of the language and context of the sentence in question. I retyped the section word-for-word. Italics are mine.

"I understand that there are certain risks inherent in international travel and even greater risks in a program that may include travel. I further understand that serious injuries occasionally occur during participation in travel and participants in activities associated with travel occasionally sustain mortal or serious personal injuries, property damage, or severe economic and social loss as a consequence of not only their own actions or negligence but the actions or negligence of others or the conditions of travel or equipment used and that there may be other risks not known to me or not reasonably foreseeable at this time.

I understand that ***** University cannot assume responsibility for all or certain activities for me. I agree to release, waive and discharge ***** University, ***** University Foreign Study program, its directors, faculty, staff and agents from all liability to me, my personal representative, heirs, and assigns for any medical loss, damage, or injury
caused solely by the negligence or willful misconduct of the Foreign Study program, program directors, faculty, staff or agents."

Is this a routine waiver, or do they have a problem with their wording? If the instructor who is going with us on this trip decides for for whatever reason, to drug or harm a student because s/he thinks it is funny, and the student suffers serious medical problems as a result of this, does this waiver weaken the student's legal recourse?

I thought maybe they left out a word or something. It just doesn't seem right. Thanks for your time reading this.

abynon

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">